Monday, July 19, 2010

Shallow Stream

Lately I've been feeling a little dry around the edges.  I had a few minutes to myself this afternoon, so picked up one of the books from the Charlotte Mason series - "Formation of Character".  I never get a chance to do this kind of reading, but felt the need for it.  As I was reading, CM hit my need right on the nose. 

She wrote, "As a stream can rise no higher than its source, so it is probable that no education effort can rise above the whole scheme of thought which gives it birth; and perhaps this is the reason of all the 'fallings from us, vanishings,' failures, and disappointments which mark our educational records."

Right ON.  My "stream" is shallow.  I've let myself get so busy with chores, schooling, and other family stuff that I've neglected to fill my mind with IDEAS.  CM goes on to write, "In saying that EDUCATION IS A LIFE, the need of intellectual and moral as well as of physical sustenance is implied.  The mind feeds on ideas..."

She is referring to teaching children, but how can the teacher teach the children and feed them ideas if the teacher has nothing to give? 

Thank God for the Deep Thinkers who have gone before.

No comments:

Post a Comment