Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Boring Women

I bought a refrigerator magnet when I was in college that said, "Boring Women Have Immaculate Homes."  I was VERY proud of that magnet for many years and thought it was very funny.


I don't think it's a cute magnet anymore and this week I finally threw it away.  What exactly is so boring about a woman who wants to do all she can to care for her family by providing a clean place for them to live?  True, I don't spend as much time as I would like visiting with friends, volunteering outside the home, and my life as a hobbyist-anything is practically non-existent.  Does that mean I'm boring?  If it does, then too bad.  ;-) 


Back when I was a new mom, oh so many years ago, I remember hearing James Dobson say, "If you're bored as a mother, then you're not doing it right."  Eeeek!  I have never been able to forget that, so anytime I start to feel the "I'm bored" attitude creep in, I have to check myself!  After all, am I doing the mommy-thang for ME or for my husband and kids?  If I'm bored with my duties, then there's a problem with me, not the daily duties that I have. 


A little further on that train of thought......same thing applies to my attitude towards the kids.  If I'm at the end of my rope and just "can't go on" because the kids have pushed every button I have, is it really the kid's problem, or my own?  Here's how I've come to view it:


1) I'm the adult.  I should have things under control enough to realize that in training my children that not every day will be smooth sailing, and I just MIGHT have to revisit the same issues a few times.  HA!  It's all part of the discipling/training process.


2) If I'm throwing a fit because the kids are throwing fits and misbehaving all day, then maybe the kids are learning their behavioral habits from me.  If I have a bad attitude towards the kids, then it's MY problem, not the kids.  If I can remember that, then all is well, because then I am constantly on my knees to God about my kids and about myself, and I can usually handle most of what comes my way in a calm, cool, and collected manner.  It makes all the difference!


My home is not immaculate, but I'm not ashamed to say that I strive for that worthy goal!  As mothers and wives, it is a privilege to care for our husbands and children and let them know even in mundane ways such as cleaning a toilet that they are important, worthwhile investments of my time.  I pray and beg God that one day my children and husband will arise and call me blessed (Proverbs 31:27-28)!  They will never do that if I spend my time in self-serving pursuits.

5 comments:

  1. Wise words well spoken. Thanks for that Becca! Post 100 is up and on the new Blogger!


    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. good thoughts. I also found your last post interesting. brakfst has become very important for our family too. we have not always done it. (Mostly because of sick pregnancies)It seems to make a difference how the day goes around here.those two recipes you posted are two of our favorites (slightly different). I also like something that is quick to fix. I've been trying to find and/or devise some crockpot breakfasts. So I can switch it on at night and wake up to breakfast. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your title caught my eye and I just had to red your post. I so enjoyed your post. I cannot remember a time that I've bored since being home this last 3 years. I enjoy what I do. Even though I do throw working at home into the mix now, I still love being at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I certainly agree with you, Becca. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becca,


    I'm so glad you stopped to comment today. I thought I'd stop by and say, "hello." Can I just say this post resonated with me? The Lord has worked on me to "check myself" when it comes to my kids . . . how I react to their reactions . . . my selfish attitude . . . i.e. I wanted to do nothing this morning but sit on the couch an sip tea while my children wanted me to play. I was tired of doing the "Mommy thing" and yet my oldest decided to take the whole time to snuggle with her Mama. Ah, my "velcro babies" grow up to become "velcro children," and I their Mama who feels like a magnet with sides that repel meeting together need the attitude check from day to day. It's humbling . . . yet necessary to let the Lord do His work. (Okay, enough rambling for now. Have a great weekend!) Blessings from, Erna http://www.erna-sweet-serenity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete