Monday, December 4, 2006

So Happy Together

One of the blessings of being a homeschooling family is that we can sit down and eat a nice breakfast together.  I've gotten real serious about this in the last couple of years and am constantly on the lookout for some good breakfast recipes.  Cereal just doesn't stick to the ribs like a good, warm meal does.  :-) 


 


Of course I have a certain criteria that must be met for it to be considered a good breakfast recipe.  Well, only two things.  They are:


1)  It needs to be something that I can stir up in 15 minutes or less.  I do not have time in the mornings to stand over the stove cooking up a huge concoction.


2)  It needs to be healthy and filling.


 


Here are a couple of our favorites.


 


Baked Oatmeal


The day before:


Stir together


6 c. oatmeal


2 c. milk


In the morning:


Preheat oven to 350.


Mix together:


4 eggs


1 c. coconut oil


2 c. brown sugar


4 t. baking powder


2 t. salt


Stir in the oatmeal-milk mixture.  Pour into an 11x15 pan (I use my Pampered Chef bar pan) and bake for 25 minutes. 


YUMMMMYYYY!


 


German Pancake


1 c. flour (I use 1/2 c. wheat flour and 1/2 c. white flour)


1 T sugar


1 c. milk


6 eggs


1 t. vanilla


 


Preheat oven to 400.  Combine ingredients in a blender.  Liberally grease a 9x13 pan with coconut oil or butter.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.


 


This one is so pretty when it comes out of the oven, but it will fall, so make sure the kids are handy when you first open the oven.  :-)  I usually make two of these for our crew.


 


If you have any breakfast recipes that you like, send them my way!


 

3 comments:

  1. Speaking of recipes....


    I was just wasting some time the other day and was getting caught up on reading blogs when I went to your other website. I have always seen the menu planner but never used any of the recipes. But I needed something "different" & still healthy for our menu this week. I remembered your page and went to click on the featured menu....I borrowed some of the recipes. We tried the chili mac yesterday. I NEVER make chili and was a little nervous. I also wanted to make it b/c it was different for us...ya know, trying to spice it up a bit. ;-)



    WOW....it was really good, although I changed the recipe a bit to make it healthy. LOL! ;-) I know its not YOUR recipe but wanted to say thanks for posting that website on your page, its got some keepers. I do always love your recipes....and my cherry pie was D-lish! ;-)


    Oh and remember when you made those bean/meat burritos at our first retreat? I made those last week...thought of you the whole time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of our favorite quick filling breakfasts is quesadillas. I don't know how this one started, but we have done this for breakfast for over two years. I figure cheese and tortillas...not too bad. B. can make these for everyone.


    How is your dishcloth? ;)


    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I linked to your blog from Trivium Pursuit. And, we eat baked oatmeal and German pancakes, too! In fact, my second daughter - the 13yo -- makes baked oatmeal every Monday. Thanks for sharing the Peanut Butter Oat Breakfast Bars ... I can't wait to try those.


    We enjoy the following breakfast recipe with muffins:


    Peanut Butter Breakfast Shake


    2-3 TBSP. peanut butter

    1 c. nonfat milk

    2 TBSP. nonfat milk powder

    1 1/2 tsp. honey

    1/4 tsp. vanilla

    3-4 ice cubes

    1 serving of Ovaltine powder


    Blend until smooth. Makes 1 adult serving or 2 child-sized servings.

    ReplyDelete