Thursday, January 15, 2009

Baby Food

I am a total geek.  I love to make baby food.  It all started, of course, with our first, 13 years ago.  After I had Ben, I quit my full-time job and got a part-time job at a bookstore.  Where else could a bookworm like me go? 


As an employee, I got a discount, and as a frugal gal, I scoured the Bargain Book shelves so my discount would go even farther.  One of the books I found was a Baby Food cookbook.  It freaked me out at first.  I mean, didn't babies just eat the food that came in jars from the grocery store?  I can't even remember the name of the book anymore.  I gave it away after our 3rd baby since we weren't going to have anymore kids.......I remember making things like "Tomato and Lentil Medley" (yes, they really ate it).  This book taught me how to puree the food and freeze it in ice cube trays, then store in freezer bags until needed.  Amazing. 


By the time Jack, our 3rd, was born, I was in the middle of starting up a Homeschool Support Group at our church and didn't use the cookbook.  I just pureed a bunch of veges and mixed likely ones together.  Easy.  Poor Jack.  He really has taken the brunt of things, being the 3rd and all.  God bless him.  How Darin and I should repay him for all he's had to deal with is another blog entry....


SO.  We now have Henry (#4) and Sophia (#5).   I've been giddy over the new baby food recipes I've come across.  Really, for the most part, I'm cooking smarter these days.  I'll put something like Chicken Pot Pie on the menu, double the recipe, then puree the leftovers for Sophia.  Voila!  Baby food.  It's funny....I'll feed Sophia her Chicken Pot Pie and the older kids will walk by and say, "eeeeeew!  Baby food!"  That's when I say, "You ate this for dinner last night."  ;-)


So Chicken Pot Pie, Beef Stew, Homemade Applesauce, leftover Spaghetti - those are a few things I've made work double duty.  I also steam and puree veges on their own to freeze.  And I have a new cookbook.  It's Top 100 Baby Purees.  It's a pretty good book.  I've had to make baby food for a longer amount of time with Sophia because even at 13 months, the girl only has 5 teeth.  Here's one of the latest recipes I tried from my newest book.  Sophia loves it.  If you decide to make it for your babe, double, or even triple it.  I don't know about you, but I cook for the long-term.  ;-)


Creamy Chicken and Vegetables


1 T. vegetable oil
1/2 c. chopped onion
2 med. carrots, peeled and chopped
3/4 c. sliced mushrooms
1 T. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. chicken stock
1/4 c. milk
1/2 c. chopped cooked chicken
1/4 c. grated cheddar cheese


Heat the oil in a saucepan and saute the onion and carrots for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the mushrooms and saute for 3 minutes.  Stir in the flour and continue to cook for 1 minute.  Gradually stir in the stock and the milk.  Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and cook for 5 minutes.  Stir in the chicken and cook for 1 more minute.  Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese until melted.  Either chop into small pieces or puree for your baby. 
Makes 3 servings.


 

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Becca, your babies get it gourmet style! What a good mom you are. I was too poor to buy baby food in jars. At the time we were living in Canada on missionary support, and at $.75 a jar, I couldn't do it. I'd go over to the farmer's market and buy a big ol' 12 lb. squash and cook that up, then puree it and freeze it in muffin tins. My baby's nose turned orange, but her tummy was full, lol. I have to believe it's a lot better for them than the yucky stuff in the jars.

    Sally


    PS. Still doing the MOMS Challenge? I'm going to get back to it just as soon as it is light enough at 6:30 am. Will be a while...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds Yummy, my little girl loves soup to thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I got rid of all my baby stuff after our first...we weren't going to have anymore (having gone through infertility and all). :-) Doctors...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good to know that I'm not the only one who makes their own baby food. Our 4th son is just starting to enjoy "real" food and I actually have a sweet potato in the oven now that he will try out later tonight. I also add an essential oil like Flax or Olive to his baby food. It seems to help his sleeping patterns. However, no one is sleeping in our household currently since we all have the cough/drainage thing that is going around. Our youngest just can quite get the hang of nursing without being able to breathe!!! Oh well... this too shall pass, huh? Take care!

    Blessings,

    :)Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola Sally! :-) Cost is another reason why I make my own baby food. Cost and the runny orange stuff in the jars just totally turns me off. Why is all orange and runny? LoL I would have loved to have seen your girl's little orange squash-nose!


    I am still working out. I've been behind on posting so far this year cause I got sick this past week and haven't been keeping up with life as I should. Well, that and drinking way too many chai teas from Starbucks. That's definitely not helpful. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, thanks for the idea of adding the flax or olive oil to your baby's food. I'm going to try that. Sophia is very restless at night. There are some mornings when it's hard to wake up after we've been up and down with her! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have wanted to try to make my own babyfood for my last two babies and just didnt know how to get started. I am currently pregnant again and really hope to make my own babyfood this time! Any tips?

    Thanks and Blessings,

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Crystal. :-)


    The babyfood thing is so easy. Just remember that. I always get other moms saying, "I could never do that."

    Really, they could! I usually start our babies out on carrots. I steam some baby carrots (no peeling or cutting!) then puree them in our food processor. Then I freeze the carrots in ice cube trays. I cover the trays with wax paper, then aluminum foil. When everything is good and frozen, I empty the trays out in a freezer bag, (making sure I label it in case someone other than me is feeding the baby) and that's it! I take out as many cubes as I need and thaw them in the microwave. When I puree the carrots, or whatever vege that I've steamed, I usually have to use some of the water from the pan to get things going. It's a good thing, too, since there's nutrition in that water! :-)


    I hope this helped you. Let me know if you have other questions.

    ReplyDelete