Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Banana Pudding

Sometimes when you're on a roll in the kitchen, taking time to put on an apron just seems like too much.  At least that's what I keep trying to tell my daughter, Lydia.  Lydia is my dress-up girl, so the apron-thing is an absolute must when working in the kitchen for her.  I obviously would much rather end up with grease splatters and flour all over my front.  :-)But we have been having fun in the kitchen. 


Kind of on that note, Darin and everyone else in his company received a  6% paycut at the beginning of the year.  It hurt!  6% doesn't sound like a lot until it's broken down into $$ signs.  For us, it is basically what our food budget was.  So we have had to really roll up our sleeves and find a cheaper way to cook around here.  I've never been a big processed foods fan, and now I'm even less of a fan.  I've vowed to completely cut out of our grocery trips anything that comes in a box.  We have been making EVERYTHING from scratch.  Over the weekend, we made banana pudding completely from scratch - even the Nilla Wafers.  Of course I don't have time to stand in the kitchen cooking everything from scratch, so our pudding was a family affair.  Darin and Jack made the vanilla wafers while Lydia and I were grocery shopping.  I made some vanilla pudding that same day after dinner.  The next morning, Jack lined the dish with the vanilla wafers, Lydia mixed in a few bananas into the pudding then dumped it into the dish, Jack finished off with his very special "battle formation" with the cookies on top, and then all of us (Darin, me, Ben, Lydia, Jack, Henry & Sophia) gathered round to finish off the leftover cookies.  YUM!


It was so easy, and a lot of fun to do as a family.  Here's our recipes:


Vanilla Wafers

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 c. milk


Directions:
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well. 
Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
NOTE: Let these cookies sit overnght. If you try them when they first come out of the oven, or anytime on the first day, they won't taste like "real" nilla wafers.  But the next day....oh yeah, baby.


Vanilla Pudding
2 eggs
3/4 c. sugar
5 T. flour
1 T. butter
pinch of salt
1 T. vanilla


Directions:
In a bowl, mix eggs, sugar and flour.  On the stove, heat milk and then pour in the sugar mixture.  Stir until thick, then take off stove and add butter, salt and vanilla. (I tripled this recipe for our pudding)

5 comments:

  1. Okay, Becca, if I were a little faster at math, I would be really curious to see if scratch really does save that much money per serving. Some things actually seem cheaper pre-made. Like... lol. I can't think of anything. Brownie mix on sale?? Especially if the recipe calls for melted chocolate. Hmm. Someone recently posted a recipe for home-made chocolate chips. The recipe made one cup, and used coconut oil and some sort of unrefined sugar that probably costs an arm and a leg locally.... But then who really needs brownies? (Besides us moms, I mean.) :o)

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Sally!!


    I think that for most things the math would work in favor of cooking from scratch, but then it sounds as if we go about the same speed in math. ;-) For the vanilla wafers, I figured this way....a box of them at the store costs almost 3 bucks. But I know I HAD to use less than that to make our own. An entire bag of flour only costs around 2 bucks! (generic Target brand) and I didn't come near using the entire bag. The other ingredients are also cheap. We also had a lot more cookies from our homemade batch than we would have gotten from the box...we doubled the recipe.


    Darin and I joked about the cookies the first day when they weren't tasting like "real" vanilla wafers. We thought that maybe we needed Yellow No. 5 to make them taste right. LoL One thing's for sure. We're doing without a lot of junk that comes in the processed foods! And yeah, I don't think we'll be making those chocolate chips anytime soon, although I'm sure they would do wonders for our health. LoL


    What it really boils down to with processed foods, IMHO, is time. Things move a lot quicker when it's already done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipes. My Dh was laid off a month ago and we've had to really tighted our belts.

    Blessings,

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your receipes! I've recently started trying to cook more things from scratch and I'd love to try out the pudding receipe. I couldn't see, unless I missed it and I could have, how much milk it calls for.


    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOODNESS. I can't believe I forgot the milk! LoL


    It's 2 cups! ;-)

    ReplyDelete