Monday, February 16, 2009

The Simple Woman's Daybook

Outside my window...Chilly and cloudy.  I love cloudy days.  There’s so much sun here in TX, it’s nice to get a break from it every now and then.

I am thinking...in a million different directions.  Garden plans, school plans, dieting plans (now that Valentine's Day is past ;-), exercising plans…..


I am thankful for...my husband.  I don’t think God could have sent a better guy my way.  He is so gentle and forgiving and I feel as if I need his forgiveness a lot!


From the learning rooms...Egypt and Sea Creatures with Jack and Lydia.  American History with Ben.  Darin and I have been talking about what to do with Ben for high school next year!  eeeeeeeeeek!  We’ve decided to use Cornerstone Curriculum’s World Views of the Western World I with him next year.  We have a very generous friend who went through it with her two boys, and now teaches it at our local homeschool store.  She has volunteered to meet with us and give us suggestions and tips.  What a blessing!


From the kitchen...Stamp of Approval Spaghetti Sauce
Ingredients:



  • 2 pounds ground beef

  • 3/4 pound bulk Italian sausage

  • 4 medium onions, finely chopped

  • 8 garlic cloves, minced

  • 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained

  • 4 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste

  • 1/2 cup water

  • 1/4 cup sugar

  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

  • 1 tablespoon canola oil

  • 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley

  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil

  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano

  • 4 bay leaves

  • 1 teaspoon rubbed sage

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram

  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

  • Hot cooked spaghetti


Directions:
In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, sausage, onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
    Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, oil and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Discard bay leaves. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).


I am creating: Garden plans.  We are going to build some raised beds this year.  Our soil is so poor here.  The last time we tried vegetable gardening, we didn’t produce much.  We’re hoping raised beds will do the trick.  We’re going to do some vertical and container gardening as well.  Can’t wait to get started.

I am going...to go somewhere for dinner alone this week.  I started doing this back in December and I love it.  I take a book with me and eat a big salad in the corner of a restaurant and totally dig it.


I am reading...The Deadliest Monster….recommended by a friend.  I’m just in the first chapter.


I am hoping...that Henry will learn to let go of his stinkers (what we call #2 here in our house).  The poor boy holds it in to the point where he’s dancing around and crying.  He just does not want it to come out.


I am hearing...Henry, our 2 year old, taking pictures of me with the digital camera.  Sophia saying, "mama!" from the high chair.  The heat just came on.




Around the house...laundry, school schedule making, desk organizing…


One of my favorite things...planning for the garden.


A few plans for the rest of the week: things are finally getting back to normal after me being sick for almost all of the first 6 weeks of the year, and Darin working lots of hours last week.  I am ready for nothing but the ol’ routine of school, chores, and playing outside with the kids.


Here is picture thought I am sharing…last gardening attempt.


To read other Daybook entries go HERE.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet! A garden! Well then I can learn from you cause I've always wanted to plant a garden, doesn't mean I will though but if you do it and learn from your mistakes then that means you'll pass it on to your dear friends??? I tried growing tomatoes in a pot on our porch when we homeschooled and I remember the aphids got a meal out of it cause we never got tomatoes. It was not much of a learning experience except I knew I couldn't grow a garden in this pest ridden, hard clay, hot sun place we call home here in TX. Can't wait to follow you on this new venture!

    ReplyDelete