Friday, September 3, 2010

I’ll be You, You be Me!

I am so excited that this weekend is a 3-day weekend.  I have been printing and printing stuff for the last two weeks, but have had zero time to organize it all and put it away.  I've got a huge stack of stuff sitting on my desk, calling to me.  Loudly.  I also need to make copies of some things...I just need to get organized!  I told Darin that this weekend, "I'll be you, and you be me!"  In other words, he can hang out with the kids, and I can "work."  Getting school stuff organized is work, but I do enjoy it.  I love the planning, organizing and even the execution. 

I've visted a few blogs that have listed all they're going to do with their kids this year, and I love reading what others are doing, so thought I would also share.

Ben (10th grade)
World Views of the Western World II - this includes Composition, History, Literature, Art and Music Appreciation
Harold Jacob's Geometry w/help from the Ask Dr. Callahan DVDs.
Apologia Biology at CIM Science Co-Op
Shurley Grammar
Latin
We are also following the reading list that Patrick Henry College has on their website.
He's also learning the guitar, and is starting Cross Country.  He's a team of ONE.  ;-)  Our chiropractor has volunteered to coach Ben with his running.  They're going to chat once a week to keep Ben accountable.

Lydia (7th grade)
The Story of the Greeks by H. A. Guerber
Shurley Grammar
We're at the tail end of Saxon 7/6.  I haven't decided whether to stick with Saxon or move to Cornerstone Curriclum's math.  I need to try to get my hands on Cornerstone's math before making a final decision.
Apologia General Science at CIM Science Co-Op (I'm teaching this class!)
Music Appreciation using Music & Moments with the Masters
Piano lessons
Latin
I'm going to keep Lydia supplied with biographies of Christian women this year.  The first will be Susanna Wesley.  Next will be Amy Carmichael.
Geography through Art

Jack (5th grade)
Cornerstone Curriculum math
Latin
The Story of the Greeks by H.A. Guerber
Apologia Astronomy at CIM Science Co-Op
Music Appreciation using Music & Moments with the Masters
Geography through Art

Henry (my precocious 4 yo!)
I'm teaching him his letters and letter sounds.  So far when I point at "A" and say what sound does "A" make?" he says, "a-a-apple."  ;-) 
I'm also doing a couple of things from Hubbard's Cupboard.  Especially the Calendar Binder.
We do an occasional Before Five in a Row lapbook from the resources at Homeschool Share.

Sophia (2 yo) joins Henry and me when we do a lapbook.  Her favorite has been the "Owl Babies" lapbook.  Grace (8month old) joins us when she's not napping.

Miscellaneous resources I use all the time are Plants Grown Up, Polished Cornerstones, Beautiful Girlhood, Awana at our church. 

I think that's it!

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog because we have the same blogaversary, and Kristen mentioned our blogs in her recent post:

    I would be really interested in hearing your thoughts on the H. A. Guerber history book you mentioned in this post. I've looked at those online several times, but have never committed to purchasing them. I'm wondering if they would be good for jr. high and high school, and if they should be a supplement to a history curriculum or a stand alone history. Also I have wondered about how much detail is given and if there are any parts of it that are graphic (such as descriptions of violence).

    If you have a minute I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

    Blessings,
    Missy

    http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/smokeybutter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Missy! Happy Blogaversary. :-)

    I think the Guerber books would work very well for jr. high/high school. I think I read somewhere that they are recommended for grades 4-12. You can definitely use the books as a stand alone history program. Every now and then I find a lapbooking project to do alongside our reading (love Amy Pak's Homeschool in the Woods stuff). The greatest thing about the Guerber books is that Christine Miller has included the most incredible living history booklist in the back. She has the recommended books listed with what chapter in the Guerber book they should be read with, so it makes it a no-brainer for me. We read every book that she recommends, and have never come away disappointed.

    I don't remember any graphic descriptions in any of the books we have used so far. We have used Renaissance/Reformation, Ancients, and are now working through the Greeks. Guerber focuses mainly on character over other issues.

    I highly recommend the Guerber books. :-) Let me know if you decide to get one and what you think!

    Love,
    Becca

    ReplyDelete