Thursday, March 24, 2011

ChickaChickaBirthday

I'm turning 43 on Saturday and can't wait. I've found myself slipping over the last couple of months and telling people that I am already 43. Whoops! ONLY 42. ;-)

It's been a blessing to grow old...er. Older. I feel like every year that goes by I am shedding the ignorance and silliness of youth. Oh, to go back and do it again with what I know now. But I can't, so I look forward to moving "onward and upward." God is good.

One of my favorite things about age is that I feel like now I know how to properly read my kids their books. Back in my 20s, I read with feeling. Reading with feeling is good. A lot better than monotone. But now....NOW I have let go my inhibitions and can really slam dunk a read-through of those books that I used to try to skirt around when my kids would bring them to me because REALLY. How does an author think to put the phrase "ChickaChickaBoomBoom" in the middle of a story about the lowercase alphabet that climbs a tree together? Well....ChickaCHIckaBOOMBOOM! My kids don't care. They just think it's fun to hear me read it with ChickaChickaBoomBOOM-Pizazz, and I enjoy giggling with, and snuggling them in my arms as we "read it again!"  God is REALLY ChickaChickaBoomBoom-GOOD!

4 comments:

  1. hehehe... ever since I turned 37, I have always said I was 40.... i figured it was just easier to say 40. I'll actually be turning 40 next week... and I wonder now if people will believe me ;-)

    There's nothing like listening to a reader that has let go of his/her inhibitions. I agree! Do you ever read There's a Monster at the End of this Book? I finally read it with gusto!

    Stacey B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, they might. ;-) It's not like you're saying your 29....again.

    I have never read "There's a Monster at the End of this Book"! I will look for it at the library.

    Lacrosse season will end and we will make it to SB one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becca, I hope you had a Happy Birthday!!

    David will be 42 this year (in October), so y'all are peers. I turned 36 last month, so I still have a few years (until 40). I wish I was enjoying getting older, but I really don't like it. Things just aren't the same (with my body, hair, mind, etc.). I guess it's just taking me a while to realize that this is me.

    When I complain to David about getting older , he always says sarcastically, "Sure beats the alternative!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Joy, David is so right. ;-) I know what you mean about getting old though. In my mind, I still look like I did in my heyday. Then when I look in the mirror, it's a big shocker! I wish I could be 36 again! If I could, I would stay in my mid-30s forever.

    Are you still doing T-Tapp? Darin and I started doing it together a few weeks ago, and have noticed a few blessings from it! Our sore spots are not so sore anymore....hips for me, and shoulders and hips for Darin.

    ReplyDelete