Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Tackle-It Tuesday

Tackle It Tuesday Meme

 


 


It's easy for me to let my "to do" list get in the way of relationships.  I have been thinking about writing a blog about my husband, Darin, for a few weeks now, but just haven't gotten around to it.  This is an important blog entry to me, and I want to be sure it gets done, so this is my Tackle-It Tuesday job.


 


When Darin and I began homeschooling seven years ago, we were very naive about all that homeschooling would take.  I have a feeling that other new homeschoolers also have no clue about the extent of the commitment that homeschooling is.  It happens gradually as more kids come along, and as the older kids advance into higher grades.  I have heard that burnout among homeschoolers usually occurs around the seventh year and I feel very strongly that it is because of the increase in commitment that is required of the parents.  It can get to feel overwhelming - almost impossible.


 


I have never experienced these feelings of being overwhelmed for longer than a day or two and it is not because I am a cool cucumber.  ;-)  It is because I have the support of my husband in every area.  Let me count the ways.....(as if I actually have the room to tell you everything!)


 


1)  Darin does not think that homeschooling/child rearing only happens between the hours of 8:30 to 5:30.  He doesn't expect to leave for work, and come home to a spotless house or every school subject finished.  He understands that raising our children takes the ENTIRE day.  So when he comes home from work, he rolls up his sleeves and sets to work.  If I am in the middle of cooking dinner when he gets here, he does what he can to help me get finished.  During dinner he guides the conversation and keeps questionable body sounds (i.e., belches) to a minimum at the table.  After dinner he cleans the kitchen with the kids so I can slip off and work on a load of laundry, take a walk on the treadmill, or work on lesson plans.  He makes sure the kids get their baths, teeth brushed and are in their jammies.  You can imagine from this description of his evenings how I anticipate his arrival!  He is a blessing to me!


 


2)  Living on one income and homeschooling makes for a tight budget.  Darin has given up just about all the things he might do if I were out working and supplementing his income.  He doesn't play golf, go to hockey games, or buy every new computer game that comes out......we don't even have cable so he can't watch all the hockey that I know that he wants!  He does this so we will have what we need to purchase the books and curriculum needed for our three oldest that are schooling, as well as clothes, trips to the doctor......groceries!  Man, do growing boys EAT!


 


3)  There are many days that I don't see myself in the mirror after I get dressed in the morning.  I can look pretty disheveled by the end of the day and usually try to make it to the bathroom to update my ponytail before Darin gets home but don't always get there.  Then I don't think about it again until we have gotten the kids in bed and I'll say something like "Oh!  I must look terrible!"


Darin says, "No you don't.  You look good to me."


GOD BLESS HIM.  'Nuff said.


 


4)  Darin loves our children and desires to be a Godly example for our kids and works hard to do that.  He is never happy with the status quo and always seeks to improve his relationship with God so he can make a difference in the lives of our kids.  He also encourages me to be better in this area.


 


5)  Darin works at his relationships with our kids.  Without this, it would be extremely difficult to homeschool.  Darin is the anchor that holds everything we do together, and if the kids didn't understand that Darin loves them and expects a certain standard of behavior from them, my job would be ten times harder. 


The perfect example of his diligence in this area is his relationship with our oldest, Ben.  There are no two people more alike than Darin and Ben.  You know how it is when you're hanging out with someone with whom you have a lot in common - it can be a bit trying at times, and certainly Darin has expressed his frustrations with this, but he has never given up with Ben.  Now as soon as Darin comes home, Ben starts following him around, asking questions, wanting to play football/baseball/soccer in the backyard, watch the hockey game together.....anything.  He just wants to be with his Dad, and that is only because Darin has given what it takes to draw him close, rather than push him away with excuses like, "We will never get along because we're too much alike."


 


6)  He does chores around the house that are considered the "wifey chores" because he knows that I don't always have time to get to everything.  He cleans our carpets, ceiling fans, makes a darn good cookie, can cook a tasty meal, cleans our bathroom, cleans the kitchen every night.....all this in addition to his "manly chores."  Without his help in these areas, I would definitely become overwhelmed because I am a recovering neat freak (the kids are curing me of this problem ;-).


 


7)  Darin helps me teach the kids.  Again, it is impossible to squeeze every subject in during the day that we would like, so Darin has stepped in as our art teacher.  Two nights per month, he teaches them art, and not only is he teaching them art, but last week, just studied up on how to do a Picture Study with the kids!  (those of you who love CM know what this is) I have wanted him to do that for years.  This guy is so goooood!  I could just squoooosh him!  ;-)


 


I feel as if I could go on and on, but my blogging time is running low.  I am so thankful for Darin.  For the way we met, for the night when he proposed to me, and for the rainy day when we got married.  I feel so blessed.  Darin makes everything better with his sense of humor and his laid-back style.  He is the perfect guy for me.


 


4 comments:

  1. Way to go Dar-wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great guy!

    You've encouraged me to thank my husband for many things that I take for granted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becca,


    I knew you had a sweet one, but wow. He definitely is a keeper.


    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW -what a guy!!!! He sounds terrific!


    I have a huge amount of respect for you homeschoolers!


    janice

    www.5minutesformom.com

    ReplyDelete