Saturday, January 13, 2007

Will the Real Leader Please Stand Up?

We were celebrating yesterday afternoon.  The thermometer had dipped below 70 so I whipped out our Ghirardelli Ground Chocolate (so much tastier than Swiss Miss!) to make some hot chocolate.  L and J were sitting at the table working on their math. 


L said, "I'm the head of the family because I'm sitting in Daddy's chair."


J quickly replied, "No you're not!"


L insisted, "Yes, I am.  I am sitting in the chair of the leader of our family, so that means I am the leader of the family."


"You are NOT the leader of our family!" J said, getting more tense by the moment.


At this point, I couldn't ignore the conversation.  I had been in my own little la-la-land, but this brought me fully out of it and I began to panic.  "Oh man!  Does he think I am the leader of our family?  What have I done to make him think that?  Is it because I am the one who is home with them all day long?  Am I undermining Darin's authority in subtle ways without realizing it?  What a nag I am!  Darin and I are going to have to find some way for him to interact with J some more!" 


L responded, "If I'm in the leader chair, then I'm the leader!"


J finished the debate with, "You're not the leader. GOD is the leader of our family!"


The end.  L had nothing more to say to that, and all I had to say was a mental, "WHEW!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment