Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Newspaper Interview, Part 8

The final installment of the Q&A from a newspaper interview for a newspaper called The National, which is printed in the Middle East.


What is your message to other women and other families about the lifestyle you have chosen?
I guess if I had to say anything to others about being a Quiverfull family, it would be that this lifestyle is one in which there must be a commitment made before jumping in.  A lot of ladies get romantic when they think about having babies.  Having babies is great.  I love being pregnant, giving birth, and breastfeeding….everything about babies.  But then the babies grow up.  It takes years for those sweet babies to grow up, along with lots of patience, discipling, hard times, and teaching.


What do you think is the biggest misperception about the life you lead? 
I think one of the biggest misperceptions about the Quiverfull movement in general is that all Quiverfull families have large families.  I know some couples who are Quiverfull but have no children.  Some have 1, 2, or 3.  I have a friend who has 7 children, but is not Quiverfull.  They just wanted a large family.  When they hit the number 7, my friend got her tubes tied. 


Another misperception is that we are all conservative, right-wingers.  As I mentioned before, this is not true.  Of course Darin and I are, so I guess we are contributing to the misperception.  LoL


Another misperception is that some men and women think they “could never do it.”  Anyone can have lots of kids and enjoy it.  It just takes us allowing God to renew our minds (Romans 12:2) to get away from what the world says about children being a burden.


Another misperception is that Quiverfull Moms and Dads are perfect parents.  We never lose our tempers, never get discouraged, and always know the perfect thing to say to our kids in every situation.  We are human, too!  We make mistakes, sometimes lose it and yell at the kids, get grumpy and wish for time away.  ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Yes I have a NEW blog!:) I've been studying a book with a friend, so it's just been on my thoughts on that so far, but now am done and will move to whatever strikes my fancy to babble about!

    tatlowtreehouses.blogspot.com

    I am new to homeschooling this year, have 2 at home, and one at ps still (a whole other issue, and yes, am hoping to have him home next year...) I am an organizing freak (read: control freak), which is why i love Sonlight so far, however, you do it for their language arts??? wow, i've just been thinking that i wish i could find something better!? Funny!

    Curious about the "Quiverfull" concept, never heard of it in my life, and when I looked it up(grin), I basically understood it to be mainly a Christian religious group made up of people who have LOTS of kids. I totally realize that's probably far too vague and not the entire concept, don't be offended, that's the basic overview I got from the net. But I see you said in your interview it was not necessarily the case? I mean with not always having LOTs of kids, then what IS it? I'd much rather hear it "straight from the horses mouth" so to speak, than some article from the net. I love the scripture it seems based upon! I read a different blog, can't remember the name, and the top stated something about children are hated and debt is applied for, instead of the bibles take that we should be thrilled over kids and hate the debt!

    Anyhoooo.... it sounds like we both have our hands full of *life* in general, and with some nice/neat similarities,(ok, except the kids, as we only have 3;)

    Look forward to getting to know your corner of the woods, blessings to you dear sister.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber,


    I am so sorry I have taken so long to get back to you about your questions! With this new pregnancy, I am working hard to keep my head above water and I'm feeling way too slow to do that! ;-)


    LOVE SL LA! Really, I promise you that you won't find a better program for LA. At least I haven't! I know...different strokes for different folks. :-)


    About Quiverfull families...no. It is not only about having a large family. It is about allowing God to be in control of the size of our families. I have a friend who is Quiverfull. She popped out 3 babies in 3 years, and not one more since. Her kids are all in high school now. She and her husband have never used birth control. You would think they would have 20 kids by now, but GOD is in control. His plan was for them to have three children, and that's what they have. Then you've got a family like the Duggars in Arkansas, who have 18 kids. That is God's plan for them!


    Nowhere in the Bible does God mention birth control, or waiting till "we're ready" to have kids, or only having as many kids as we think we can handle. Instead, God says,

    Psalm 127:3-5

    3 Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD,

    The fruit of the womb is a reward.

    4 Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,

    So are the children of one’s youth.

    5 Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them;

    They shall not be ashamed,

    But shall speak with their enemies in the gate.


    Psalm 128:1-4:

    1 Blessed is every one who fears the LORD,

    Who walks in His ways.



    2 When you eat the labor of your hands,

    You shall be happy, and it shall be well with you.

    3 Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine

    In the very heart of your house,

    Your children like olive plants

    All around your table.

    4 Behold, thus shall the man be blessed

    Who fears the LORD.


    Genesis 1:27-28:

    27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”


    The "be fruitful and multiply" thing is not just for Adam and Eve, or else God would have said so.


    Genesis 29:31:

    When the LORD saw that Leah was unloved, He opened her womb; but Rachel was barren.


    Jacob understood God's control of the womb. Genesis 30:1-2:

    1 Now when Rachel saw that she bore Jacob no children, Rachel envied her sister, and said to Jacob, “Give me children, or else I die!”

    2 And Jacob’s anger was aroused against Rachel, and he said, “Am I in the place of God, who has withheld from you the fruit of the womb?”


    I hope that helps you! There are people out there who are just into the "natural" way of life and think it's best to go without birth control and leave things open. That is one segment. I wouldn't call them Quiverfull though, as Quiverfull is a Biblical allusion. :-)


    Love,

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your article. I have been blessed with one child. I enjoy so much reading about your family. Thanks for taking the time to share.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Teresa! It's good to hear from you again! :-)

    ReplyDelete