Thursday, February 17, 2011

Copywork

I love Charlotte Mason, and I love Copywork and Dictation. My biggest frustration, though, is choosing copywork and dictation passages. That's just one more thing that I don't have time to do. My daughter, Lydia, loves Shakespeare's plays, so I thought some lines from his plays would make great copywork for her. I went online to look for something and found a great site called enotes.com  Quotes abound, as well as literature study guides, lesson plans, discussion, and on and on.  The great thing about the quotes is that they come with a recap of what's going on at that particular point in the play.  Love that.  You can also look up the quotes by play, the person speaking and theme.

3 comments:

  1. Becca, you saw the light! lol. yes. Blogger is a joy. I feel bad for the HSB people; I think changing platforms was a bad idea, though certainly we all complained plenty about the old one... I think they just weren't ready and thought their techies could handle the new thing. I see HSB is for sale now.

    Results. Well, I have results OTHER than losing inches or weight. I have not measured yet, but I don't feel any different in my clothes anyway. However I do have other good results from T-Tapping, and I am going to continue! I hope it meets your expectations. For me, I am just glad to have a workout that is only 15 min and requires no bouncing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize that HSB is for sale! I'm not very good about keeping up with the latest news...it took me so long to switch - I tend to get real stuck in a rut. ;-)

    Yes. No bouncing is good, and 15 minutes is the best! I have just about that much time to spare. OTHER results are also a bonus. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's some good info that Victoria left as a comment on my OLD ;-) blog. Thought someone might like to read what she wrote.

    "Charlotte Mason believed the dictation exercises should be passages from the children’s own books so that they have already formed a connection to the text. Maybe it would be easier for you to use what has recently been read. For copywork I have been using poetry from an anthology. I plan to change it up with quotes. You can find the public domain version of Familiar Quotations searching google books, then click free google e-books. I also download Wheeler’s Graded Studies in Great Authors. It’s an old spelling book that teaches through quotes. I plan to print a few pages at a time."

    Here is my response to her:
    Thanks, Victoria. Fortunately for me, Lydia is always in the process of reading a Shakespeare play. She’s an amazing reader! I also use poetry from the book she’s reading through this year. Thanks for the info on Familiar Quotations and the Wheeler book.

    ReplyDelete