Thursday, February 24, 2011

Legislate Me

I struggle with politics.  I mean, I don't think that government will ever save us.  It's understandable to think that a non-Christian will look for the government to legislate peace and happiness, but Christians understand where true peace and happiness originate.

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27

And yet I feel surrounded by Christian activists who have no message for non-Christians because they're so busy ranting about DOMA or the price of oil. 

We are in a no-win situation.  I came across a quote by St. Augustine the other day.

If, therefore, we wish either to declare or to recognize the truth, there is a persecution of unrighteousness, which the impious inflict upon the church of Christ; and there is a righteous persecution, which the church of Christ inflicts upon the impious.

I don't think that St. Augustine is specifically discussing political life in this quote, but it got me to thinking...if Christians rule in government, non-Christians are going to feel as if the laws the Christians pass are intolerant of their worldview.  If non-Christians rule in government, Christians will feel as if the laws that are passed are intolerant of their worldview.  And isn't that what we have now?  Both groups screaming "Intolerance!" at each other?  And how does this accomplish what should be the ultimate end of a Christian life, which is to lead others to Christ?  I think of 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12:

...that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you, that you may walk properly toward those who are outside, and that you may lack nothing.

And if we are following the Great Commission found in Matthew 28:19-20:
Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you...

...wouldn't we very possibly end up with the Christian society that most of us hope to gain by legislation?

No comments:

Post a Comment