Thursday, March 15, 2007

Craft Thursdays

We relax from the daily grind on Thursday afternoons by sitting down in the living room for a little craft work.  Today I introduced my six-year-old to Redwork and he is hooked - lovin' every minute of it!  And now my daughter can't wait to get done with her latch hook rug so she can begin her own Redwork project. 



If you've never heard of Redwork, it's an interesting craft.  Seemingly simple, yet there's the potential for learning a lot of different stitches.  Redwork was most popular in the 1800's, but is making a small comeback these days. 


For my son's Redwork design, I simply went online and looked for a printable coloring page of a fish.  I found a dolphin that he's happy with.  I printed it out, taped it on a window with a piece of muslin over it, traced the design with a red, fine-tip marker (I used my Creative Memories pen), put it in an embroidery hoop and after a short tutorial with my son, let him have at it.  He didn't want to put it down.  ;-)



If you're interested in Redwork for yourself, Redwork.info offers some free Redwork patterns as well as patterns for sale that are a bit more challenging than what I gave my son to do.


 

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea to set aside time from our 'busy' lives to spend a little time with our children! So many people get so tied up doing 'things', when we really need to slow down and spend time with our children while they are still at home!


    Keep us posted on your craft projects!


    Yvonne :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job girlfriend! I am so happy that you enjoy Redwork and want to share it with your children! You reminded me that I need to pull mine out!


    Julie

    ReplyDelete