Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Narrow and Fettered Minds

About two years ago, I read Shirley, by Charlotte Bronte.  One particular passage from the book has been echoing through my mind since I read it.  Here it is:


Old maids, like the houseless and unemployed poor, should not ask for a place and an occupation in the world: the demand disturbs the happy and rich: it disturbs parents. Look at the numerous families of girls in this neighbourhood: the Armitages, the Birtwistles, the Sykes. The brothers of these girls are every one in business or in professions; they have something to do: their sisters have no earthly employment, but household work and sewing; no earthly pleasure, but an unprofitable visiting; and no hope, in all their life to come, of anything better. This stagnant state of things makes them decline in health: they are never well; and their minds and views shrink to wondrous narrowness. The great wish - the sole aim of every one of them is to be married, but the majority will never marry: they will die as they now live. They scheme, they plot, they dress to ensnare husbands. The gentlemen turn them into ridicule: they don't want them; they hold them very cheap: they say - I have heard them say it with sneering laughs many a time - the matrimonial market is overstocked. Fathers say so likewise, and are angry with their daughters when they observe their manoeuvres: they order them to stay at home. What do they expect them to do at home? If you ask, - they would answer, sew and cook. They expect them to do this, and this only, contentedly, regularly, uncomplainingly all their lives long, as if they had no germs of faculties for anything else: a doctrine as reasonable to hold, as it would be that the fathers have no faculties but for eating what their daughters cook, or for wearing what they sew. Could men live so themselves? Would they not be very weary? And, when there came no relief to their weariness, but only reproaches at its slightest manifestation, would not their weariness ferment in time to frenzy? Lucretia, spinning at midnight in the midst of her maidens, and Solomon's virtuous woman, are often quoted as patterns of what 'the sex' (as they say) ought to be. I don't know: Lucretia, I dare say, was a most worthy sort of person, much like my cousin Hortense Moore; but she kept her servants up very late. I should not have liked to be amongst the number of the maidens. Hortense would just work me and Sarah in that fashion, if she could, and neither of us would bear it. The 'virtuous woman,' again, had her household up in the very middle of the night; she 'got breakfast over' (as Mrs. Sykes says) before one o'clock A.M.; but she had something more to do than spin and give out portions: she was a manufacturer - she made fine linen and sold it: she was an agriculturist - she bought estates and planted vineyards. That woman was a manager: she was what the matrons hereabouts call 'a clever woman.' On the whole, I like her a good deal better than Lucretia; but I don't believe either Mr. Armitage or Mr. Sykes could have got the advantage of her in a bargain: yet, I like her. 'Strength and honour were her clothing: the heart of her husband safely trusted in her. She opened her mouth with wisdom; in her tongue was the law of kindness: her children rose up and called her blessed; her husband also praised her.' King of Israel! your model of a woman is a worthy model! But are we, in these days, brought up to be like her? Men of Yorkshire! do your daughters reach this royal standard? Can they reach it? Can you help them to reach it? Can you give them a field in which their faculties may be exercised and grow? Men of England! look at your poor girls, many of them fading round you, dropping off in consumption or decline; or, what is worse, degenerating to sour old maids, - envious, backbiting, wretched, because life is a desert to them: or, what is worst of all, reduced to strive, by scarce modest coquetry and debasing artifice, to gain that position and consideration by marriage which to celibacy is denied. Fathers! cannot you alter these things? Perhaps not all at once; but consider the matter well when it is brought before you, receive it as a theme worthy of thought: do not dismiss it with an idle jest or an unmanly insult. You would wish to be proud of your daughters and not to blush for them - then seek for them an interest and an occupation which shall raise them above the flirt, the manoeuvrer, the mischief-making tale-bearer. Keep your girls' minds narrow and fettered - they will still be a plague and a care, sometimes a disgrace to you: cultivate them - give them scope and work - they will be your gayest companions in health; your tenderest nurses in sickness; your most faithful prop in age.


I think, and think, and think about this passage.  We are in a time where especially many homeschooling families are rethinking the role of the woman in the home, and are focusing their attentions on their own daughters.  So many seem to be looking back to the Victorian and earlier ages as some sort of glorious period of time for womanhood, but I can't imagine that Charlotte Bronte included the passage above in her book as part of the entertainment.  She was obviously trying to say something to the generation of her day, and it's something that I hope that our generation listens to. 


We must be careful not to raise our daughters to be nothing but mere ornaments in ours or their own households.  We, as women, have so much to contribute, and by the number of women bloggers, so much to SAY!  ;-)  We must be careful to raise our girls to have more interests than knitting and playing an instrument.  They need to have a true-blue occupation until they are ready to leave our home to start their own homes.


With that said, my own daughter is still quite young.  She is only eight.  So what does it look like for a daughter to stay under the protection of her parents until marriage, while living a fulfilling and meaningful life?  Of course I didn't grow up to think this way, so I am still trying to figure all this out.  I'm not sure what it looks like, but I am earnestly praying that God will reveal to my husband and me what the proper path is for our daughter as she gets older.  Heaven forbid that we keep her locked up and ineffective.


If you are reading this post, and have thoughts on this issue, PLEASE post them!  :-)

6 comments:

  1. Becca, I'm thrilled to see this progressive comment from a homeschooler. I hope many others will see this and think about it. We must prepare our girls to live in the world now, not the world long ago. We do not know the plan God has for them so we must do our best to prepare them for anything. Thanks for posting this. xo, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra,


    Thanks for your comment. :-) I think there are great ideas from the past that we can and should stick with, but I worry about going too far with those ideas so that our daughters are sitting around at home wondering when their husband is going to show up so they can finally start their own life! Just like the excerpt of the book said, our girls need something to keep them contributing in some way to the world around them. Lydia says she wants to be a wife and mother, and it’s obvious from how she is now that she probably will. So I have every intention of training her to be a wife and mother right here in our home. Something Doug Phillips of Vision Forum said in one of his CD’s has stuck with me. Paraphrase: If our girls want to be wives and mothers, then why are we shipping them off to college so that they eventually get wrapped up in a career so that being a wife and mother becomes less and less important to them than having a career?


    That makes so much sense to me, and I guess I’m thinking too much about it, and need to pray about it more. I just have these visions of Lydia here at home when she’s 27, waiting for Prince Charming to show up, with nothing else to do but clean house for me. Ugh. I don’t want that for her, and yet since I didn’t grow up thinking this way about motherhood and being a wife, I’m not sure what the options are, and what the lifestyle should look like. Ya know????? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I’m not sure what the options are, and what the lifestyle should look like."


    Women should go to college if they intend to marry men who have gone to college. The bible says we are to be equally yoked. A well-educated man needs a well-educated wife.


    Back in 1905 my great aunts went to college and married college men. After college, if they took jobs that took them away from the family home before they were married, they lived in all female boarding houses.


    My father insisted all his girls go to college because he said, "Even the finest husband and best provider can suddenly die or become disabled. A woman needs to have the tools to take care of herself and her family if she must."


    I went to college. I married a college-educated man who could afford for me to stay home once the children came. But it gave both my husband and I great comfort to know that if anything should happen to him, I had an education.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure that Jesus was referring to spiritual yokes, rather than educational. If it were educational, then I'm sure that back in Jesus' day, there could have been no rabbi's who would have been married since women did not attend a formal school.


    Also, I am a college grad, but my husband is not. It just doesn't add up. ;-) Even though you have a college degree, years spent out of the workforce will hurt your ability to get a decent paying job if something happened to your husband. I only worked for about 4 years before staying home with the kids - I've been doing this for about 10 years now.


    Our pastor gave a great message on this topic just yesterday (6/1) Go here to take a listen. It will be time well-spent.

    http://www.dbcmedia.org/xcart/product.php?productid=19170&cat=0&page=1

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that part of being equally yoked is being equally yoked spiritually. But I must respectfully disagree that that is the only thing Jesus meant. Our Lord was fond of teaching in stories, examples and parables. I suspect that is because he could give us a lot of information and insight in a few short words, and he could give it to us at the level we were capable of understanding at the time.


    That is one of the reasons, IMO, you can read the same passages in the bible again and again and learn something new each time. The messages contained in the passages don't change, but your ability to comprehend them grows as you grow.


    I have seen so many believers marriages fail because they thought if they both loved the Lord and loved each other that that would be sufficient to get through life together. It might be sufficient to struggle through life together, but not to thrive and live the joyful marriages God intends for us.


    At a recent conference of Christian women a speaker asked for a show of hands for those women who had been divorced at some point. The number of hands raised was shocking. These were believers, most of whom had married believers. These are women who had sincerely loved the man they'd married and felt those men had loved them as well.


    I have only been married once, but I had 4 men ask for my hand before I chose my husband. All those men were believers that I loved (not lusted with but genuinely loved). I turned three down because we were not equally yoked in some way. One was not equally yoked with me intellectually - even his own sister (a close friend of mine) told me to refuse him because he didn't have the academic prowess to keep up and sooner or later we would both become frustrated by that. At the time I knew she was probably right but resented her for pointing it out to me. Now, having been happily married for a quarter of a century to the right man, I bless her for telling me the truth.




    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally get what you're saying about an intelligent person hooking up with someone that is not quite on mental par with themselves. But a degree as a prerequisite? I don't think that's a must. As I said, my husband doesn't have a degree, but I do. A degree is not an accurate measure of intelligence, IMHO. My husband is pretty sharp, and taught himself everything he knows about web development/database stuff and makes a good living for our family. My eyes cross when I look at his code, and I wonder how he could remember those little scraps of words and numbers and how they go together in order to make a functioning website when he can't even remember a list of three things I need for him to get me at the store! LoL BTW, he ALWAYS remembers our anniversary and my birthday, God bless him. ;-)


    The scripture about being unequally yoked is definitely addressing only spiritual compatibility. Here it is: 2 Corinthians 6:14-18

    Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people."

    "Therefore come out from them

    and be separate, says the Lord.

    Touch no unclean thing,

    and I will receive you."

    "I will be a Father to you,

    and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty."[

    ReplyDelete