Friday, March 30, 2007

a little perspective

I just discovered Christine Miller's blog, a little perspective, this week.  I was so excited to come across it because we are using The Story of the Renaissance and Reformation by Nothing New Press.  I am faithfully following Christine's booklist that is in the back of the book, and of course keeping her book as our guide through this time period, and the kids and I love every minute of it.  Yesterday we didn't have school because we were getting ready for THE BIG CAMPOUT.  We had Bible study as usual, and usually after that we segue into history, but yesterday we didn't, and my daughter was begging for us to read "just a little."  :-)  Love it.


Anyway, if you get the chance, check out Christine's blog.  Her latest post, Safeguard your investment in your children just screams out at me.  She asks a great question.  When is it okay to let our kids participate in church youth activities?


This is something that my husband and I struggle with to a certain degree.  Ask any of our close friends and they will tell you that we don't "get out" enough.  According to most standards, we don't.  According to our own standards, we're just about perfect.  ;-)  We are big believers in Proverbs 22:15 which says, "Folly is bound up in the heart of a child....."  We see it in our children here at home every day, and we're not content exposing our kid's folly to other's children and vice versa.  My husband and I are STILL working through the baggage we picked-up as we worked our way through public school, boarding school (me), college, youth groups and the party scene.  Why would we want our children to have the same regrets we have?  Because they'll MISS OUT?  Ugh.  There are so many things I wish I had missed out on because now I can't tell my children that I remained pure until marriage, or that I never got drunk, smoked a cigarette, or did any drugs.  And more than one thing on this list I was exposed to through my church youth group, just as Christine wrote about.


Read her post.....she promises more on this topic later.

No comments:

Post a Comment