Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Pregnancy Update

I had my second OB appointment last Friday.  My daughter went with me because she wanted to hear the heartbeat.  God bless her.  I love to hear it, too.  :-)


According to my monthly schedule, my due date is December 9th.  But when I had a sonogram done, the way the baby was measuring, my doctor changed the due date to the 14th.  When I came in for this second appointment, the nurse said, "So did we decide that your due date is the 9th, or 15th?"  HA!  Where did the 15th come in????  I'm sticking with the 14th!  I never have the baby on the due date anyway.


I just knew that my OB was going to tell me that we would do a sonogram at the next visit, but when I asked her, she said she wanted to wait until the next visit.  Waaaah.  ;-)  I am dying to know if this baby is a boy or girl.  With my last pregnancy everyone around me was convinced we would have a girl since we already had two boys and my daughter "needed a sister."  But I knew that the baby was a boy.  Mother's intuition, or something like that.  And we did have our third boy!  Well, this time I am a bit on edge, and my Mother's intuition on the sex of the baby is being clouded out by emotion.  My daughter is SO SWEET.  She would LOVE to have a sister.  She is a GOOD big sister and it would be so cool to see her get her heart's desire in this.  At the same time, we're in a groove with boys and it wouldn't bother me a bit if the baby is a boy.  So I'm dying to find out.  I just have to know TODAY.  ;-)


While my OB was listening to the baby's heart rate, she happened to say, "About a hundred and fifty beats per minute."  I didn't think much about that until I got home and was wallowing in my disappointment at not getting a sonogram next month.  I started wondering if I could find any info on the web about the heart rate equaling the sex of the baby.  I had heard something about it before.  So I did a search and found out that the faster heart rate means a girl!  Woohoo!  But as I was reading on, I found more info.


You will have a boy if:
baby’s heart rate is under 140 beats per minute. - sounds as if we're having a girl!
you are carrying low and in front - too early to call, but I usually carry something like "as big as Jabba the Hut."
your urine is bright yellow - I refuse to investigate this
your right breast is bigger than your left - this is getting ridiculous
you don’t experience any morning sickness in the first trimester - didn't experience any sickness with my daughter, so this ol' wives tale is officially null and void


You will have a girl if:
baby’s heart rate is faster than 140 beats per minute - there's that whole "we are having a girl-thing"
you are carrying high and all over - see the above
your urine is clear - ahem
your left breast is bigger than your right - SIGH
you sleep on your right side - I DO!  I love to sleep on my right side!  But I did with one of the boys, too.  Dang!  I just can't win with these wives tales.


Here's a winner:
String and Ring Test:
This "test" can also predict whether you will have a boy or a girl. Tie your wedding band or other ring on to a piece of string. Hold this string so that the ring hangs down in front of your belly. Gently swing the string: if the ring moves in a circular pattern, you are having a boy; if it moves in a straight line, you are having a girl.
Yeesh!  Why don't I just lay down inside a pentagram while I'm having this done!  That "test" just creeps me out.


Another:
Do you have acne? Some believe that getting acne during your pregnancy indicates you're carrying a girl. Maybe the acne is caused by twice the amount of female hormones?
Now this one brings up bitter feelings.  Weren't we all told that when we became adults we would no longer have zits???  I'm pretty sure some adult told me that.  Man!


Another: (last one, I promise)
Many people believe that your cravings are caused by the sex of your baby. So, if you can't get enough chocolate, you could be having a girl. Does the idea of drinking straight lemon juice sound delicious to you? Then those sour cravings are a result of the little boy inside of you. However, if you go by the scientists, then some of them will claim that you're not even having cravings because cravings just don't exist.
1) Craved chocolate with my last baby, a boy.
2) Drinking straight lemon juice has NEVER sounded good to me
3)The scientists MUST be men.  Come on, I've been craving POTATO SALAD, of all things.  Wouldn't my subconscience pick something better than that if it were all in my head?


So I'm going out on a limb here.  I'm going to throw my guess out there.  My odds are pretty good, right?  About 50/50?  I think it will be a boy.  We'll see in August! 

2 comments:

  1. This is great....LOL. Julia wants a sister SO badly. After all, she has 3 brothers and nary a sissy in sight. So I'll be honest....we would LOVE a boy but would go into "freak out mode" if it's another girl. Hopefully in August we'll get a scan and see for ourselves what this little peanut is. And I've chosen 'sage green' as a color theme. Can't go wrong there.


    We're due the same day practically, as you know. I can feel movement already, I think. How about you?


    Love,

    -gena

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter and I both have December birthdays! Sounds like you had some fun trying to figure out the sex of your baby!


    Yvonne :o)

    ReplyDelete