Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Time to Eat My Words

I've been blogging long enough that I can look back at some old entries and eat my words.  The one that is most on my mind these days is the entry titled Teaching Your Child to Come.  Here's what I wrote:


Reading Michael and Debi Pearl's newsletter this month, I found a wonderful thing that I have put into place here in our home and I am already seeing the fruit!  Here is an excerpt from the article that I read, titled "Training a Child to Come".


 


"When Gracie was first born, every time I picked her up I would say, “Come to mama.”  This simple, cheerful command was conditioning my tiny baby to come to me in response to my voice. She came to associate the command with feelings of being close to me. Even though at one week old she had no idea what “Come to mama” meant, nonetheless, she quickly came to identify the sound, rhythm, and tone of my voice with the pleasure of being drawn to me.  I hoped that after she became mobile and heard my command to come, she would respond without hesitation, and at 22 months of age, it has worked beautifully. And it is a good thing I got the jumpstart on training, because everyone will tell you that Gracie is the most impetuous and independent of all the nine Pearl grandkids."


 


I started doing this with our 7-month-old about three weeks ago.  Everytime I pick him up, I say, "Come to Mama."  Then I give him a big squoosh when I pick him up.  :-)  And now when he's playing on the floor and I want him to come to me, I say, "Come to Mama!" and he takes off across the floor to me with a big ol' smile!  I never had this with our three other kids. 


 


Darin, my husband, has not been saying, "Come to Daddy" when he picks up Henry.  So to test this thing, Darin called to Henry to "Come to Daddy," but Henry did not come without a lot of coaxing.  Then a few minutes later I called for him to come and he came without a moment's hesitation!  Darin is now saying "Come to Daddy" when he picks-up Henry.  ;-) 



 


This little trick worked great as long as Third Son was crawling.  But once he started walking, forget about it!  Do I sound a little bit bitter when I say that I think Gracie is not as impetuous and independent as Shoshonna thinks she is????  ;-)

4 comments:

  1. This made me laugh - you're right...Shoshanna was dealing with child #1...I knew everything with my first child. I think I was so prideful that God decided to make him a little challenging to humble me. And humble me, he did. I read all the Pearl's stuff, implemented in my best Pearl voice the commands, and still had to use that switch more often that not.

    Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the No Greater Joy ministry and have benefited from the practical teaching, but after having five -- all impetuous and independent in their own right -- I know that there is just a whole lot of hard work involved in parenting mixed in with the joy. There is no simple formula.

    Anyway, I appreciated your honesty and hope you are still feeling better.

    Tori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Shalom wrote an article in this month's NJG newsletter that was very refreshing. I really liked her comment about "and you know who my father is!"

    At least you aren't part of the family...or a daughter-in-law...talk about pressure!!!! Oh, and also check out Gabriel's article. It was really funny.

    brenda

    the family revised

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that article. At that point I had 3 little ones past that stage. I started saying "Come to Mommy" with my youngest who found her running legs 5 months ago, and since then, she only comes half the time. The other half, she is running to find out where all the action is with her siblings. Then I have to get her and correct her for not coming. And my youngest I am sure can give Gracie a run for her money in being impetuous and independent. I am sure it works great when you only have one kid. :) I however can completely understand where you are coming from I have been forced to eat my words many times. :p.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After posting this entry and reading all your comments, I realized that I haven't received email notification of the Pearl's newsletter in a few months! Thanks for jogging my memory on this one. I subscribed to it again tonight. :-)


    I read the "And you know who my father is!" article. Too funny. You're right. I don't know if I could handle that pressure!


    Love,

    Becca

    ReplyDelete