Friday, January 25, 2008

U.S. Birth Rates Rise

U.S. birth rates rise, media finds negative story


Jeff Johnson - OneNewsNow.com - 1/25/2008 4:00:00 AM

Birth rates are up in the United States, and most are saying that's a good thing. But Associated Press began its reporting of the highest U.S. birth rate in 45 years with a negative spin -- describing Americans as "bucking the trend in many other wealthy industrialized nations." However, Carrie Gordon Earll of Focus on the Family has a different take.



"We consider this to be very positive," she reports.


But according to Associated Press, unnamed experts blame the rise on "a mix of reasons, [including] a decline in contraceptive use, a drop in access to abortion, poor education and poverty." Other media reports blamed lack of career opportunities for the increase in U.S. fertility rates. But Earll thinks the media may be missing the real reasons behind the shift.


"What it says is, to a great degree, Americans are still pro-baby. They are pro-child, and they're having children," she points out. "And we think that also speaks to the resilient message of the pro-life movement -- that children are a good thing, they are blessing, and that we want to be having them.


In light of the negative reports, Earll warns media consumers to take any analysis of new statistics propagated by the mainstream media with a grain of salt. "You do need to take into consideration their political and ideological perspective," she maintains, "because that will have an impact on how they interpret the data."


I find this sentence from the story amazing and it just leaves me speechless and sad:
Other media reports blamed lack of career opportunities for the increase in U.S. fertility rates.


Well, okay.  A lot of thoughts go around in my head on this topic, but it's almost painful to think that I would need to point out that having children could actually be more fulfilling than a career and that I and thousands (millions???) of other mothers have not had children simply because we couldn't get a job.  It just seems like something that is too obvious.  Or is it just me?


4 comments:

  1. It is so NOT because we cannot get a job! How many leave their jobs to raise their children. That just feeds into the idea that you are not making anything of your life if you stay home and raise a family. I only hope many can see through this!


    May God's blessings be upon you today!

    Kristine aka MamaArcher

    www.mamaarcher.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is just one more way that the American media is out of touch with society....


    Tracy

    www.LinesFromTheVine.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, that is some really backwards thinking. We are more fertile because we don't have a career? How does our job status have anything to do with our ability to have children? I think they need to go back to school and take basic biology. I left (gladly and without remorse) my career when I had my first and have never gone back. I love it that way and have not once regretted my decision. I find it appalling that someone could think that I am uneducated enough to be able to decide to not have babies as the report would say. How sad that this is mainstream media's thinking.


    Mommy Reg

    mommyhoodadventures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The absurdity of the secular world drives me to my knees in prayer and I have to remind myself to expect absurdity and lies because the Truth is not in them.


    They are just so ... absurd.


    "An unjust man is an abomination to the just: and he that is upright in the way is abomination to the wicked." Pr 29:27


    http://www.ambientsolace.org

    ReplyDelete