Thursday, December 4, 2008

Blogger Friend School - #112

Assignment:  Write about your favorite ‘faith food’.  Tell about the books of the Bible that you read that help to build your faith..nurture the seeds of faith inside you. 


My favorite encouraging book from the Bible is Nehemiah.  When God gave him the vision to rebuild the wall around Jerusalem, he did not waver.  From all sides, he was harassed, yet he never gave up.  Instead, he made sure that "those who built on the wall, and those who carried burdens, loaded themselves so that with one hand they worked at construction, and with the other held a weapon.  Every one of the builders had his sword girded at his side as he built (4:17-18)."


Nehemiah never forgot that God was his strength.  He said, "Hear, O our God, for we are despised... (4:4)"
"Our God will fight for us" (4:20).
"Now therefore, O God, strengthen my hands" (6:9b). 


My husband and I were just chatting tonight about one of our harder-headed ones.  There are times when we feel as if we are just talking to the wind with this one.  Will we ever succeed in doing anything but pushing this one into the life of a criminal? 


"O God, strengthen our hands!"


Parenting is not for the weak of heart, and I have to admit that there are times when I feel weak.  There are times when I lay down the law about some issue and the kids look at me as if I have lobsters coming out of my ears.  Sometimes I think, "OK, am I being the freak here?  Is this the right path?"  That's when I call my husband and have him reassure me that I am not the freak.  ;-)  And then together we say, "Our God will fight for us!"


Nehemiah never gave up.  He never lost the vision of the job God gave him.  He worked through the internal and external strife and overcame all as he relied on God for protection, help and encouragement.  And what else can we do, but keep our noses to the grindstone and persevere in what we believe God is leading us to do with our family.  And while we work, we will keep our "swords" (the Bible) at our sides to encourage us and "strengthen our hands" for the work.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I feel like a freak too! A freak who sounds like a broken record talking to a brick wall! And then I get a moment where I see some good character peaking through and I'm reassured. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete