Sunday, May 31, 2009

Eighth Grade

Eighth grade has been a real eye-opener for us this year.  In anticipation of high school, Darin and I decided that this would be the first year that Ben would do his own History and Science studies.  Before now, the oldest three and I have done all that together.  It was real hard to let Ben go!  That time we all spent together in the afternoons doing experiments, narration and reading engrossing read-alouds has always been special to me.  I mean, what Mama doesn't want her family to all be together?  :-)


But in honor of Ben growing up (way too fast!) we set him up with Sonlight American History and Apologia General Science.  I gave him the schedules, a good punch in the arm and an "atta boy" talk and sent him off.  Over the years, I have read countless homeschooling moms write about how their older kids learn on their own and they have never seemed concerned or upset over the results.  I didn't think I would have had any issues either.  Then Ben took his first science test and bombed it.  It was bad.  I was in shock!  He's a smart kid!  What was he doing FAILING a test?


We had a talk.  He needed to make sure he was studying before the test and paying attention to what he was reading.  "Ok, Mom."  All right, then!


He failed the next test.  SO.  It finally occurred to me that the poor boy did not have any study skills.  He didn't know how to take notes or study for a test.  Honestly, I don't remember being taught how to do those things in public school.  Do you?????  It's just what we did?  Who knows.  So we have turned the focus of this year from it being the first hurrah of study on his own to using the curriculum we picked out for him as a means to teach him how to take notes, study for a test, and most important of all, how to be disciplined enough to get it all done as it should be done.  It's been a struggle because he doesn't like to take notes or study (I do remember THAT from public school ;-)


These are the things we've done to encourage study skills:
1) I have taken my own notes so he can compare his notes to my notes and see what he's missing in his notetaking.  He has a tendency to want to write as few details as possible.  I've really had to stress to him how his notes are the key to successful test taking. 


2) There have been days when I have had to stand over him to make sure that after he finishes the assignment for the day, that he goes back over the previous day's notes for review.  It takes five minutes and the benefits are huge.


3) Pop quizzes!  Oh, how I used to hate those things.  For one thing, I hate surprises.  For another, how embarrassing for my teacher to see how little I was paying attention - for the most part.  LoL  Ben's scores on these little quizzes have slowly improved.  I think he might be getting it!


4) Narraton.  This little Charlotte Mason gem of an idea is still effective.  I don't tell him when I'm going to ask him to narrate.  He just has to be ready when I do ask.


5) Expectations.  Darin and I have laid out our expectations for the quality of Ben's work, and we expect for him to follow through.  Falling down on our expectations is the quickest way to raise a lazy, unmotivated boy who will struggle in life with these character issues.

2 comments:

  1. My son is much younger, but to prepare him for note taking,and also to help him retain facts; he is now highlighting as we go. Even if im the one reading, he will yell stop..that qwas important..and he highlights it.Its a great bewginning in helping him to pick out the most important parts, plus he retains more by reading it again as he highlights. Plus, he pays more attention..waiting for that chance to highlight somethinmg. He started th8is at 8 and hes 9 now. and doing much better.Her also highjlights any word he doesnt know.and it becomes a vocab word. In books he cant highlight..he just reads me trhe part he would highlight. Leena

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea, Leena! Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete