Wednesday, February 14, 2007

It's a Lost Art

Biscuit making.  There is NOTHING like a homemade biscuit.  I have a friend who gets Hungry Jack biscuits and I keep trying to give her my recipe, but she resists!  ;-)  Homemade biscuits take longer than Hungry Jack, and I know we're all busy, but they don't take that much longer!  And you'll reap the benefits of big grins on the faces of your husband and kids when you serve up this special treat.

Flaky Baking Powder Biscuits

2 c. unbleached, white flour
2 c. whole wheat flour (see this recipe has whole wheat flour - now you're being all healthy about it)
2 T. sugar
8 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 c. butter (no margarine - go for the real stuff)
2 eggs
1 1/3 c. milk


Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Cut in butter until mixure resembles coarse meal.  Combine egg and milk.  Add to flour mixture all at once, stirring just enough to make a soft dough that sticks together.


Turn onto floured surface and knead 15 times.  Roll out, cut and put onto ungreased baking sheet for 12 minutes at 425.


I used a cookie cutter and made heart biscuits in honor of Valentine's Day.




2 comments:

  1. Ah, this is making me hungry. :0)


    Blessings,


    Erna @ Sweet Serenity


    P.S. Tried your RSS feed but it seems Internet Explorer here is having some problems. I'll see if my hubby can figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, this is making me hungry. :0)


    Blessings,


    Erna @ Sweet Serenity


    P.S. Tried your RSS feed but it seems Internet Explorer here is having some problems. I'll see if my hubby can figure it out.

    ReplyDelete