Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Sun

I used to think that I would be the perfect person to live in the northwest or even England with all the overcast days they experience.  I like overcast days.  But it has been overcast here for days and days and days, and on the 14th, I thought I was going to lose it!  I finally walked through the house and turned on every light that we have.  I just couldn't take it anymore.  Everything felt dark and grimy no matter how much I cleaned.  The lights helped a little, but even better was today!  The sun finally came out!  And as I sat down to read some poetry to the kids this morning, I accidentally flipped open to some poems about the sun.  That was fun!  Here are a few of my favorites that we read from "Favorite Poems Old and New" by Helen Ferris.

THE SUN
John Drinkwater


I told the Sun that I was glad,
I'm sure I don't know why;
Somehow the pleasant way he had
Of shining in the sky,
Just put a notion in my head
That wouldn't it be fun
If, walking on the hill, I said
"I'm happy" to the Sun.


THE SUN'S TRAVELS
Robert Louis Stevenson


The sun is not abed, when I
At night upon my pillow lie;
Still round the earth his way he takes,
And morning after morning makes.


While here at home, in shining day,
We round the sunny garden play,
Each little Indian sleepyhead
Is being kissed and put to bed.


And when at eve I rise from tea,
Day dawns beyond the Atlantic Sea;
And all the children in the West
Are getting up and being dressed.


 

1 comment:

  1. When I visiting a friend in Seattle, for a week, and it rained everyday except one. It really started to affect me. I realized I couldn't live there.

    ReplyDelete