Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Breakfast at the Beards

Breakfast is a big deal around here.  Everyone is usually hungry first thing, and it has been my goal to serve something other than cold cereal for breakfast.  There's nothing more annoying than the kids begging for snacks all morning because their Cheerios didn't stick to their ribs longer than 45 minutes. 


Here is our newest recipe.  I found it while I was looking for camping recipes and decided to make it for my crew to eat for breakfast while they were gone.  It was a huge hit and lasted both days of the campout, making breakfast a no-brainer for them.


Peanut Butter Oat Breakfast Bars


1 1/3 c. peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)


1 c. brown sugar


1/2 c. butter, softened


1/2 c. honey


2 eggs


2 t. vanilla


3 cups oats (quick, or old fashioned work fine)


1 c. flour


2 t. baking soda


1/2 t. salt


Preheat oven to 325.  Prepare a 13x9 baking pan with nonstick spray; set aside.  Cream together peanut butter, brown sugar, butter and honey.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients, mixing until well combined.  Spread evenly into prepared pan and bake 30 minutes.


If you missed my last post with breakfast recipes, check it out here.

5 comments:

  1. ...to get this yummy sounding recipe! It will be great to prepare ahead and have ready for some of those mornings when we need to get out of the house early.


    Yvonne :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALRIGHT!!!!!!!! I so need a new breakfast recipe. Thank you! What is it with not having healthy, interesting things to make in the morning??? Seems things are getting boring for breakfast fast. We're all so sick of our morning foods. Blah! I have all these ingredients in my pantry and will put 'em on the menu for next week. Thanks again!!


    Love,

    Reb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this recipe! It is a hit at our house. I even linked to your post from my blog so others can enjoy this recipe!


    Come visit to see another breakfast recipe!

    Yvonne :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. homeschoolhighlitesApril 25, 2007 at 11:06 AM

    I enjoy making all kinds of oatmeal bars for my kids to substitute for regular cookies. I am wondering if these bars come out "soft" or "crisp"? I am looking for a good soft and chewy type bar.

    Thanks!

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I linked to your blog from Trivium Pursuit. I just read your Dec. 2006 post on breakfast, and we eat baked oatmeal and German pancakes, too! In fact, my second daughter - the 13yo -- makes baked oatmeal every Monday. Thanks for sharing the Peanut Butter Oat Breakfast Bars ... I can't wait to try those.


    We enjoy the following breakfast recipe with muffins:


    Peanut Butter Breakfast Shake


    2-3 TBSP. peanut butter

    1 c. nonfat milk

    2 TBSP. nonfat milk powder

    1 1/2 tsp. honey

    1/4 tsp. vanilla

    3-4 ice cubes

    1 serving of Ovaltine powder


    Blend until smooth. Makes 1 adult serving or 2 child-sized servings.


    ~ Lisa



    ReplyDelete