Monday, May 14, 2007

Turn it Back to Praise

I felt convicted yesterday, on Mother's Day. 


Before I go further, I want everyone to know that I understand that in the Bible, God says for children to honor their father and mothers.  With that said...


What bothered me yesterday was that I felt we, as mothers, should be pointing the finger right back at God in honor.  We are mothers only because God has chosen, in His wisdom, to bless us with biological, adoptive or spiritual children.  How many times have each of us fallen on our knees and begged God to see us through a certain situation with our children?  How many times have we told others that we couldn't do it without Him?  I have done those things, and yet yesterday I moaned a little bit to myself because I didn't get to relax as I would have wanted. 


That's when I believe that God started speaking to me.  Is it all about what my husband and children give me for Mother's Day?  Is it all about me not having to cook or clean on Mother's Day?  After all, isn't that what part of being a Mother is all about?  Why should I be upset if I have to DO the things that MAKE me what I am?  It doesn't mean that my children and husband love me any less, or honor me any less.  To me, it means that we are working as we should - as a team, with everyone pitching in and doing their share - with no fits from Mom! 


How many times have you heard people say that when Jesus comes back, they want to be found working for Him?  I would say that's a good plan.  I pray that when Jesus comes back, He finds me doing the work He has placed before me - that Mother-Work.  More than anything, I pray that he finds me doing it with a good attitude - even if it's on Mother's Day.  ;-)


So today during our Bible Study time, the kids and I chatted about this, and we spent our prayer time thanking God for making me a Mother and for making them my children.  What a TRUE blessing that time was for me.  It felt so good to give the praise where the praise was due. 


All day this song kept going through my mind.  Especially this part: "Every blessing you pour out I'll turn back to praise!" 


Blessed Be Your Name
by Matt Redman
- - -
Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name


Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name


Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say


Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name


Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name


Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name


Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say


Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name


Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name


You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name

No comments:

Post a Comment