Monday, December 3, 2007

Next Wednesday'ish

OH
MY
GOODNESS.


Today, I can say that TOMORROW my parents will be here!  Since our scare with the contractions last week, our mantra around here as been, "next Wednesday is not that far from now."  The hope was that I could make it without going into full-blown labor until my parents got here.  So far so good!  Tomorrow is....well, TOMORROW!  ;-) 


But my Husband has thrown a wrench into my back patting.  He says that now I have to hold off until the 12th (I am due the 14th).  Beginning the 12th, he will be able to take off from work for the rest of the year.  Before the 12th, he has a million deadlines to meet, so having the baby before then, would mess all that up.  Reminds me of the time when I was pregnant with First Daughter during the Stanley Cup Finals, back in 1998.  I was on bedrest with her because I kept going into early labor.  First and Only Husband told me that I could not have the baby until after the Stanley Cup Finals were over.  She was born the day after they were over.  How's that for cooperation? 


Guess what day the 12th is???  Wednesday!  So now we can again say, "next Wednesday is not that far from now."  We'll see.  ;-)


I am going to miss being pregnant.  Here are some of the things I will miss:
1)  I will miss the smiles that light up in the eyes of most women when they ask me about my pregancy and in turn, go down memory lane with me about their own pregnancies and children.  Children bring joy, and there's something about a pregnancy that brings such hope to so many people.  I love to see that reflected in a person's face and conversation.


2)  I will miss having the baby so close to me.  That may sound a little odd, but as I think about it, I think that there will never be another time in this baby's life when we are closer.  As soon as she is born, we will begin the clash of wills as she becomes her own little person, bound up in all that original sin business,  that will make her own choices for better or for worse.  Not that I want to control her, but man, do I want to see her succeed.  I know that there will be days where it is painful to watch her try to buck the system and get away with it, while my Husband and I will have to apply the appropriate consequences. 


3)  Here's one for the books.  I have been called "cute" three times during this pregnancy.  Hey, I'm 39....I'll take whatever I can get.


4)  I will miss talking with my kids about what their little sister will possibly look and act like.  It has been so much fun to imagine her.  It has also brought out a lot of fun conversation about when they were each babies.  Funny stories about them, how they looked when they were firstborn, the discomfort they caused while I was carrying them....LOL!  I had to make them feel a little guilty for beating up poor mom!

2 comments:

  1. Wednesday really is not that far away at all!!


    I know the feeling of missing being pregnant but think of oh the joys when you hold that precious little babe!!


    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right on...there are such precious things about being pregnant. Your second reason was my favorite. I never got tired of the kicking rolling. I know many women had trouble sleeping or painful jabs in the ribs, but with all the padding I have around my mid-section (I like the word padding much more than fat) I didn't seem to have that problem. I would wake up in the middle of the night and put my hands on my belly so I could feel the movement both inside and out.

    I'm excited for you and your family.

    Tori

    P.S. My children were not a cooperative as yours. With our second son, my husband bought tickets for a concert that was 14 days after the due date. He paid a lot of money for those tickets. Our second son was born precisely.....

    14 days late. :-)

    ReplyDelete