Saturday, December 22, 2007

What We Really Need

A lot of people have mentioned to me that it's a great time of year to have a baby.  I agree.  Well, I think that any time of year is a good time to have a baby.  ;-)  But one thing I've been stressed over is me being out of commission.  Things just don't get done that would normally get done because everyone else is pulling my slack - God bless 'em.  So I've been worried that this Christmas isn't going to be as Christmasy as it normally would be around here. 


A few days ago, I checked in at Amy's Humble Musings.  She has a blog entry that starts off like this:
Economists say that it’s going to be a “bad” Christmas. Sales are down, fueled by anxiety about everything from the mortgage debacle to oil prices. I like a strong economy as much as the next guy, and the market was bad to us this year. But will Christmas really be a disaster? Maybe we should measure a successful holiday season by diminishing divorce, suicide, and child abuse rates. Maybe then we wouldn’t need to band-aid our loneliness with more debt. Christmas cookies, footie pajamas, hot cocoa, a fire, carols playing in the background… nobody fighting…that’s what I’m talkin’ about.


It's the band-aid statement that has really stuck with me as I've been thinking about all the things I would have done if I was up at at 'em.  The extra things I would have bought, the extra things I would have done with the kids.....but I look around my house and all those extra things that I would have spent extra money on that we might or might not have had the money for, I now understand is unnecessary to any of us experiencing the joy of Christmas.  The kids are just having fun sneaking around, hiding their gifts they got for each other, we're making cookies to give away to the neighbors today, we've been listening to our favorite carols, and listening to readings from the Bible about God's sacrifice when He sent His Son to be with us.  That's all we really need!  Amy was right.  :-)

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I just found your blog. I was reading and had to tell you that I have gone through the same thing with Christmas. Last year my littlest was born right before Thanksgiving. I had to have a c-sec and recovery was harder than the other 3. So Christmasy stuff didn't get done like usual. But God showed me how it doesn't really matter getting caught up in the extra stuff. This year we moved the week before Christmas. So... again another year without the traditions. And again God reminded me what was important. And, the kids had fun just the same. But next year, I am hoping for a fun tradition filled Christmas month. Merry Christmas (a little late) and Happy New Year! Oh and your little one was born on my b-day :).

    If you want to check me out you can read about me at mommyhoodadventures.blogspot.com

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete