Monday, November 10, 2008

The Simple Woman's Daybook


For Today...

Outside my Window...the temps are getting lower, with highs in the low 70’s.  On Wednesday, we will go down to highs in the 60’s!  LOVE IT.  Today it's overcast.  Love that, too.

I am thinking...that I am so excited about homeschooling.  I LOVE IT.  I get to be with my kids EVERY DAY!  My oldest is 13 and I keep pinching myself – how many other 13 year olds will still hold their Mom’s hand on the way into the library, or put his arm around her on the way out?  Sigh.

From the learning rooms...I’ve gotten to the point where I understand that I cannot focus on history and science at the same time.  So we now alternate between them.  We study one chapter from science (we’re using Apologia’s Zoology II – Swimming Creatures of the Sea), then we move back to History and on and on.  Works great for me.  I feel I’m being more consistent this way.

I am thankful for...the Victoria Botkin’s Curriculm Advice chat.  Since Sophia was born I’ve been struggling with just everything.  I felt like I might be doing too much schooling because with three in full blown school, I have to work like a dawg to keep up.  But I’m doing all the things that she recommended!  I sat down to listen to it on my iPod (I downloaded it from Behemoth.com) thinking I would get up with a long list of changes I needed to make.  So it was a huge punch in the arm to know that according to a mother of 7, I am right on track.  What I took away from it was that I need to get a grip and buck up!  Being the Mom of a large family IS hard work. 

From the kitchen...Every Sunday I make a shopping list and Lydia and I do the grocery shopping for the week.  This week we went shopping, but I had no list!  I was not inspired and the only plan I have is for Ben to make meatloaf tonight.  After tonight, who knows what we’ll eat for the rest of the week…..grilled cheese?  PB & J?  Eggs and bacon???  Wow.  I didn’t realize it, but our options are practically without limit.

I am reading...World mag, St. Bartholomew’s Eve with Darin, Ishmael with Ben, Elsie’s Children with Lydia, and The Trojan War with Jack. 

I am hoping...to fold the huge mountain of clothes in the corner of my bedroom TODAY.   

I am creating...order.  I love organizing and planning…..what a geek.  January is not my time for cleaning out clutter and reorganizing.  Fall is my time.  I know it’s the time of year when everything is turning brown and dying, but there’s something about fall that inspires me to begin anew.

I am hearing...Sophia breathing.  I love that sound. 

Around the house...I need to catch-up on making baby food for Sophia this week.  I’m running low.  She’s 11 months, but still only has her front four teeth!     

One of my favorite things...praying for something and waiting to see how God will answer. 

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week...my biggest brother’s birthday is on Thursday...Putting together plans for a class for newbie homeschoolers that I will begin teaching in the fall – I’m excited about that...Darin has to work tonight – our date night.  Waaaah.  ;-)  At least he can do his work from home...Spending as much time as possible outside with the kids while the weather is warm enough to not require a coat.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...
My little Dress-Up Queen from four years ago.





To read other Daybook entries visit The Simple Woman.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Becca! I found your blog from your comment on Bill's - I commented after you and hope you come back there! There is imbalance of the Christians v. the Atheists, so I would love to start seeing your input there.

    Jenny

    ironmomjenny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it hard to concentrate on too many subjects at once as well...especially those that require more effort. I've heard of moms taking a month just to study one subject and then moving on to another one the next month. I might need to do that.



    ReplyDelete