Wednesday, November 15, 2006

How to Teach Your Child to Come

Reading Michael and Debi Pearl's newsletter this month, I found a wonderful thing that I have put into place here in our home and I am already seeing the fruit!  Here is an excerpt from the article that I read, titled "Training a Child to Come".


 


"When Gracie was first born, every time I picked her up I would say, “Come to mama.”  This simple, cheerful command was conditioning my tiny baby to come to me in response to my voice. She came to associate the command with feelings of being close to me. Even though at one week old she had no idea what “Come to mama” meant, nonetheless, she quickly came to identify the sound, rhythm, and tone of my voice with the pleasure of being drawn to me.  I hoped that after she became mobile and heard my command to come, she would respond without hesitation, and at 22 months of age, it has worked beautifully. And it is a good thing I got the jumpstart on training, because everyone will tell you that Gracie is the most impetuous and independent of all the nine Pearl grandkids."


 


I started doing this with our 7-month-old about three weeks ago.  Everytime I pick him up, I say, "Come to Mama."  Then I give him a big squoosh when I pick him up.  :-)  And now when he's playing on the floor and I want him to come to me, I say, "Come to Mama!" and he takes off across the floor to me with a big ol' smile!  I never had this with our three other kids. 


 


Darin, my husband, has not been saying, "Come to Daddy" when he picks up Henry.  So to test this thing, Darin called to Henry to "Come to Daddy," but Henry did not come without a lot of coaxing.  Then a few minutes later I called for him to come and he came without a moment's hesitation!  Darin is now saying "Come to Daddy" when he picks-up Henry.  ;-) 

3 comments:

  1. LittlebitofeverythingmamaNovember 15, 2006 at 4:05 PM

    I'm going to start doing this in the AM!! I haven't read my issue yet. We've all been sick and it's taken a lot to take care of everyone and myself. I really want to spend some time catching up on your blog as well! Hugs, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this article too. I'd like to try it out if I am blessed with another baby some day!

    I came here through the 100 entries list. Looks like you have a very nice blog. I will come back and read some more :)

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your entry was very uplifting. I can just imagine your little ones face lighting up as he rushes to Mama!!

    ReplyDelete