Friday, July 6, 2007

Neil Postman on Cyberspace

A pastor at our church sent a link to this YouTube video featuring Neil Postman in 1995. Neil is the guy who wrote Amusing Ourselves to Death.  It's a short, 10 minute interview in which he discusses the potential impact that Cyberspace could have on our culture.  As I wrote, this was 1995.  You will be amazed at how much he predicted has come true, and provoked to thought as he asks, "What problem does this technology solve?" and "Is it MY problem?"  and "If not, what is the purpose of this technology?  Am I using the technology, or is it using me?"


I think it's something to seriously consider as we fight worldliness from grabbing hold of our children.  As you know from my earlier post, I love my iPod!  We have two computers in our home, plus a laptop that we use whenever the mood strikes, cell phones, an MP3 player, digital cameras, blah, blah, blah.  I have consistently been amazed at the draw all this technology has on our children.  They're like moths to the flame.  After all, my husband's cell phone has those cheesy Pac-Man and Basketball games on it, and the kids all love to talk to people on the cell phone.  Computers have games which they would spend hours and hours playing if my husband and I would let them.  First Son listens to the iPod while mowing, and all the kids love taking turns with the digital camera.  There's just so much that sometimes to me, who grew up in the 70's/80's, it seems as if I could easily slip into sensory overload.


This month we have turned off the t.v. in our house and already limit computer games and other technology, and in just the six days that we have experienced with no t.v., my husband and I are amazed at how the kids are interacting so much more with each other.  And we limited t.v. to the weekends!  As Neil Postman indicated in his interview, technology can isolate people....bring about a life dedicated to individual pursuits, which of course leads to selfish, me-first attitudes.  We all struggle with this problem without technology.  For  me, Neil's interview is a great reminder to be careful as we implement technology into our homes and guard the hearts of our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment