Monday, September 17, 2007

Do You Have Real Fall?

All of our kids were born right here in Texas.  In fact, my Husband and I have set a family record, on both sides.  All of our kids have been born in the same hospital and have had the same OB deliver them.  It's a bizarre record for both our families, who are known for their moving-around ways.  But we have stayed put, and even more bizarre to me is the fact that my Husband and I are raising up a bunch of Texans.  Yeeesh!  I swore when I was in college that I never wanted to live in Texas.  I mean, WHY?  It's ugly and hot.  Man.  NEVER say never!


So my children have no experience with a northern fall.  I do, and so does my Husband.  I grew up in Buffalo, NY, and my Husband spent some time living in NC, IL and KY.  What amazes me is that here it is September 17th, and it's 90 degrees outside.  Well, at 9:33 p.m. it's 79.  ;-)  What really amazes me is that my little Texans keep waking up, expecting to be able to wear sweaters and see the leaves on the trees changing colors.  First Daughter told me the other day that we need to be on the lookout for changing leaves.  I reminded her that it ain't happenin' this early.  We didn't need to rake our yard of leaves until late November/December last year, and pretty much every year before that. 


What is it that makes them think that when it turns September it's going to be cold outside in Texas?  My first thought is that they are suffering from wishful thinking.  It's been hot here for months.  We are all ready for a break from the heat by this time.  And then pretty much every thought after that is that they are suffering from wishful thinking.  How could it not be when we look at 90 degrees as the high as a break from the heat?


So while you real-fall people are up there drinking your hot apple cider and dreaming of pumpkin muffins, say a toast for my own poor kids, who have no clue.  God bless 'em.

2 comments:

  1. Here in my native Florida we don't have fall, either, but fall is still my favorite season! Every fall I wish we lived someplace with real seasons.


    A few years ago, it was the first day of fall, and my 7yo, who was then 4 or 5, ran to the window when he woke up and asked why the leaves hadn't fallen from the trees!


    Blessings ~ Diane


    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I was born in Buffalo! I spent most of my life in California, where there is no true fall - at least in most of the state. Oregon, my next stop, had some fall. But now I am in Pennsylvania, where I am getting ready to enjoy my first REAL fall in many years! Sorry to hear about your Texas fall! While we are digging out from snow and you are enjoying nice days, you can think of us! :-)

    ReplyDelete