Saturday, September 22, 2007

Pregnancy Update

I had an OB appointment on Friday.  It was kinda funny.......I spend a good portion of the day in the bathroom, but when asked to provide my sample at the OB's office, I had nothing to give.  Who could ever accuse a pregnant woman of that?????  Oh, well.  All is well.  I'm healthy and Second Daughter is healthy and we are officially in the Third Trimester.  Man, I can't wait to see this girl!


When my doctor asked how I was feeling, I told her (jokingly!) that the pregnancy is easy.  It's keeping up with my 18 month old that is the challenge.  HAHA!  Right?  No, she didn't think that was funny and spent a good five minutes grilling me on our homeschooling set-up, the ages of the kids, and all that stuff.  God bless her.  She's a very nice person, and I TOTALLY understand her concern for our family.  I mean, *I* have moments when I wonder what it will be like to be a mother of five.  But then I had those same thoughts when I was going to be a mother of one, two, three and four.  Of course life is a bit more intense with the three eldest in full-time school, and the youngest in full-time overdrive.  The kid is into everything!  But I know we'll all survive.  I have friends who have seven or eight kids and those friends all SEEM to be perfectly sane.  So I have every reason to believe that I will also remain sane and with-it.


There is one bit of bad news, though.  It's been difficult for me to come to terms with it being September, knowing that the juicy red, amazingly sweet and tender watermelon we've had since early summer will be a thing of the past.  It's especially hard because it is still 90 degrees here.  If it's still hot, shouldn't we still have watermelon????  I mean, come on, what's a pregnant gal supposed to do with cravings?  Just set them aside as if they are nothing?  Oh, no.  You and I both know that these cravings are nothing to be laughed at, but indulged in.  And is craving a strong enough word?  How about DEEP NEED or URGENT DESIRE?  I tried to think of things I could do to supply my URGENT DESIRE for watermelon through December, but the only things I could think of just wouldn't work.  Stocking up (another pregnancy issue I struggle with - how much toilet paper does a family REALLY need?) wouldn't do since the watermelon would rot, and growing one on my windowsill with the mint just doesn't seem possible.  THIS is the issue that my OB should have been more concerned about!  ;-)

2 comments:

  1. I personally do not like watermelon but I have an idea that might help you. You might try to cut up some watermelon in chunks, freeze the individual chunks on a cookie sheet when they are froze take them out of the freezer and place them in zip lock freezer bags. Then when you have a craving in the middle of November or December you could go grab one out of the freezer. I would just try a little bit first to see if you like it this way that way you won't ruin a whole bunch if you don't.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have about 30 watermelon here in the shed just going to waste -- we had a bumper crop this year. Should I ship them down to you? Just joking! Laurie

    ReplyDelete