Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Fireplace Art

I just discovered a new-to-me blog a couple of days ago.  It is titled The Sparrow's Nest.  I enjoy it because Mrs. Wilt, the author of the blog is one of those ladies who is constantly decorating her home to look beautfiul.  Very crafty and old timey-ish.  She seems to make everything cozy.  LOVE it.  Not because my home is like hers, but because I think it would be groovy to have a home like hers.  I can't imagine it will ever happen for me until the last kid leaves home. 


Her latest post made me laugh at myself.  Mrs. Wilt is decorating for fall.  Well, if you read my last post, you know what fall is like around here - hot.  Not at all the chilly, cozy fall that Mrs. Wilt and family are experiencing.  Anyway......she decorated her fireplace.  Take a look at it here.  It is really very pretty. 


I looked at her fireplace, then thought of my own fireplace and got to giggling a bit.  Here are pictures of my fireplace!


You can vaguely see how I've tried to decorate.  A couple of candles, some craft work of First Son's, a picture, a cross.  The effect of my amazing decorating skill is masked by the additions from my children.  On the left there is the musical piece of the mobile First Son had as an infant.  The kids found that in a box somewhere and enjoy listening to it when the mood strikes.  Next is the Mancala game, topped by our Webster's 1828.  Then in the middle is an AWANA trophy and the Pine Derby cars that the oldest three made for last year's race.  Then a couple of misc. books.  LOVELY. 


Here's a view of our entire fireplace:

And now you see the finishing touches of my deco.  All of Third Son's toys that we can hardly get him to play with when we really need him to (read: schooltime).  Oh, and over there on the left is a really pretty hurricane-type-lamp candle holder.  Well, not really hurricane style....I'm not sure what it is.  You can put a candle in it, though.  ;-)


I am so thankful for ladies such as Mrs. Wilt who inspire the rest of us with her special touch in home decorating.  Maybe, just MAYBE I'll see if I can draft First Daughter to help me "do something" with our poor fireplace.

2 comments:

  1. Your mantel/fire place looks alot like mine. I just don't have an eye for decorating. Combine that with the fact that clutter grow exponentially on every flat surface in my house while I sleep and you've got quite a combination. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I found your link on the Sparrow's nest, and noticed your last name is the same as my maiden name. Beard seems to be such a rare surname around here, interesting! Like your blog, Phallin

    ReplyDelete