Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Is Your Mama Home?

One of my biggest crusades these days is to get women to think about HOME.  I don't get a lot of chances to get on the soapbox on this issue because there are so many who think they are required to volunteer outside the home in some way and if I even vaguely mention "my ministry at home" I instantly feel the tension in the coversation rise, so I usually drop it.  In a previous post, I wrote about how I am a recovering "woman in ministry."  Well, I've written a few posts on this topic if you're interested.:-) 


I pray that we all eventually arrive at the same conclusion that one of my favorite bloggers, at Chatty's Fence Post did in her latest post, Musings on Gluttony.
Here's an excerpt:
Hilda takes several hours out of her week to help others do what her family waits to see accomplished in their lives.  She helps others plan their school lessons while her children flounder in their own books because mom hasn't had the discipline or taken the time to actually ensure that their lessons are completed.  Or maybe she spends two hours a week teaching new moms how to train their children while her own run wild at home.  She may teach whole grain baking to eager crowds while her own family gets burgers from Mc Donalds.


Ever know anyone like that?????

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I am a recovering woman in ministry too!!! I hear you. I am going to go back and read your old posts on this.


    I never knew there was so much to do at home until I quit doing everything else!!!

    brenda

    www.familyrevised.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in church and still continue to be faithful, but at times I have really felt the pull between ministry and family. You are so right about neglecting our main ministry to do "good" things.

    This past year my husband was gone to Afghanistan with the military. One of the main things I learned in that time was where my limits were. I used to think I didn't have any...I could do anything I wanted if I was just willing to work hard enough. Unfortunately, that time came at the expense of my family. I vowed to get control of that tendency. The days fill up all on their own. I am finally learning to say, NO! My main ministry at church is the worship team...I play the piano and sing in a group of ten musicians/vocalists. I have found that is enough. No more. Most recently, I was able to say no to helping with the Christmas program. Man, that was hard to do! This is not easy for me, but I'm learning how much it benefits my family when I am not a crazy woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget about the Proverbs 31, even the Bible helps us to remember that God doesn't put women in a box. God knows each heart and are you assuming that each woman that is doing something out of the house does not have her heart right with God? The question you need to answer is who are you worshiping? Your children? Your husband? Your ministry? Your church? Your lifestyle? Your friends? .........................Or God?

    ReplyDelete