Tuesday, June 17, 2008

And I Get to go Outside!!!

I go through phases when I major on a certain topic.  There for awhile I was all Charlotte Mason, all the time.  I read about CM, implemented CM stuff into our school, talked non-stop about it to anyone who would listen and joined a bunch of yahoo groups so I could soak up more CM knowledge.  Still love CM, but next I moved my undivided attention to....ummmmm.....something VERY interesting, I'm sure.  I just can't remember right now.  Hmmmmmmmm.


ANYWAY, now I've moved on to frugal living.  I'm sure you've noticed the couple of shopping CVS posts I've made.  I don't always get a chance to post about my oh-so-fun trips to CVS each week, but do know that man, oh man, am I making them!  It is just too much fun and so exciting to be lowering our outgoing cash through the Extra Care Bucks program.  It makes me sick that I waited so long to get started!  It took me so long because I thought it would be too much work and not really worth it.  You know, I would never let my kids get away with that kind of slackerish behaviour.  Sigh.  ;-)  If you're interested in learning more about shopping CVS and lowering your receipts on things like soap, toothbrushes, shampoo, batteries, & etc. Go here to read MoneySavingMom's CVS 101.


Another thing I've added to our routine is a clothes line.  My mom always used one when we were growing up.  She's a down-home, Tennessee woman who likes to do things the "REAL" way.  She did not waste my Dad's hard earned money on Lucky Charms and Ding Dongs.  We were the goofy kids, who, when it was time for us to bring a snack to the "secret" club meetings, we would show up with apples and all the other kids would groan.  LoL!  But I'm glad my Mom stuck to her guns on these issues because her example has saved our family a whole bunch of money that would normally be spent on junk. 


And so now I'm returning to my roots and have invested in a clothesline and I LOVE it!  It is so much fun to have a household chore that I can do OUTSIDE.  Am I the only one who could go the entire day and not step outside once because of all there is to do INSIDE?  It's crazy!  I love the time I have outside hanging out the clothes.  Third Son goes out with me and hands me up the clothes pins as I need them and it's just so nice.  The sad thing is that today we had a big storm with lots of wind and our neighbor's tree crashed over the fence and onto my beloved line.  It killed me to think of the cost that is involved in running the dyer today.  I guess that means I am a total clothes line convert, and will have to replace this poor broken thang.

4 comments:

  1. Okay, I've considered a clothes line, but how do you get all the wrinkles out? Do you line dry everything, or do you run the dryer for certain things? I always hated the wrinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lisa,


    I iron a lot. But I love to iron, so it's not big deal to me. The only thing I put in the dryer is jeans since they get so scratchy feeling when they dry on the line.


    The hard thing is when I get behind in laundry which is often. ;-) Today my shirt is very wrinkly, but then I realize that no one is more concerned about my wrinkles than me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had to comment that I recently converted to line drying. Unfortunately because of all the trees out back (and all that falls from them) I can't have an outdoor line so I had to have DH hang one inside. It has five lines and stretches across DD's room. I have to be creative to ensure airflow and there is regularly clothing hanging in various parts of the house as well but it's cheaper than running the dryer like I used to. We may have to move to where we can have an outdoor line if our family grows much bigger though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alicia, that is so cool. I've been thinking about rigging something in the house for this winter! I have a hard time using the dryer anymore. I keep thinking of our money flying out the dryer vent. ;-)

    ReplyDelete