Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Brush! Brush! Brush! Brush!

I believe that one of the requirements when one has a daughter is long hair.  I have spent many hours sitting on the floor in front of the couch while my daughter sat behind me with a spray bottle with water, a brush, a comb, hair barrettes and pony tail holders.  She would spray my hair until the water was running down my back in rivers.  Then my hair would be so thick because of all the water, she would jerk my head back with every stroke of the brush.  Pain!


We have cut countless ponytail holders out of my hair.  I have begged her to start brushing from the bottom and work her way up rather than starting at the top and creating huge knots that had to be cut out.  I have been embarrassed to walk out to the mailbox for fear the neighbors would see me.  I mean, come on, how many ponytails can one head hold?


Long hair is great with a niece as well.  I used to keep my niece and when she outgrew the afternoon nap thing, while the others were napping, I would recline on the couch with my hair hanging over the end (how nice for me) while my niece brushed and brushed and BRUSHED my hair.  She would go on forever!  I have naturally curly hair and by the time she was done, I usually looked like the bride of Frankenstein.  Really, I'm okay with that.  ;-)


Today I was sitting at the computer doing somethingorother with First Daughter when she started fixing my hair.  I thought, "Oh, man.  What hair style will I end up with today?"  ;-)  But I was pleasantly surprised.  A pretty braid down the MIDDLE of my head - as opposed to the side or top.  My girl is growing up!  Learning how to do hair!  I never thought I would miss those days when she was yanking my head around with the brush, but I did get a little nostalgic today.

1 comment:

  1. It's very pretty and all shiny and healthy looking! She did a great job and your hair IS blonde you know?! ;-)

    ReplyDelete