Tuesday, July 1, 2008

REAL Grilled Cheese

Imagine my surprise when my 12 year old son appeared in my room the other day when I was nursing the baby and he tells me he's fixing lunch.  Grilled Cheese sandwiches.  Groovy, man.  But then he tells me they are REAL Grilled Cheese sandwiches.  I thought, "well, what else would they be?"  No.  He meant that he was grilling them on our new grill.  And you know what?  They were the best grilled cheese sandwiches I've ever had.  They had that far out grilled flavor that was perfect.  I slurped up the broth from our chicken noodle soup with my sandwich- which he also warmed up on the burner that is attached to the grill - and was in Heaven.


I'm finding that I like having this older kid around.  He's finally starting to get productive ;-) and now, in addition to spontaneous lunch making, one night each week he cooks dinner for us.  That one night is such a blessing for me.  I could literally go and go and go.  There's always so much to do around here.  So First Son taking care of dinner for me once a week has freed me up on those evenings to get some other things done.  Here's the latest thing he made.  So good!


Stromboli Sandwiches

2 lbs. ground beef
1/4 c. finely chopped onions
1 c. ketchup
1 c. tomato sauce (we just use the entire can - I mean, what are we going to do with what's left???)
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. fennel seed
1/2 t. italian seasoning

Cook the beef, drain, then add in the rest!  We serve this just like sloppy joes and everyone thinks it tastes better than sloppy joes.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds so yummy! It's great to have older children help out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Ben! Gotta love those older kids when they get productive! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. o I cant wait til mine are old enough to cook for me:0)

    ReplyDelete