Monday, March 10, 2008

Tuesday Review


I am always on the lookout for things I can do with my daughter.  She loves to read and she got that from me, so it was only natural that I look for something for us to read together.  I settled on the Elsie Dinsmore series.  I love everything that Vision Forum has in their catalog and it's an unofficial goal of mine to own everything they sell, so I didn't question that these books would be good or bad.  Imagine my surprise when we started reading the first book and I thought I was going to gag over how sickeningly unreal Elsie seemed to be.  Was there a real-life eight year old that could actually be as pious and GOOD as Elsie?  I mean, this girl is meticulously observant and I felt it was just waaaaaay out there.  But I kept reading because my daughter seemed interested.  After we had read about half of the book, she turned to me and said, "I wouldn't like this book if I didn't already have Christ in my heart."


She might as well have hit me on the nose as hard as she could have with the book because that's about how her comment struck me.  Shame on me.  I let myself become cynical to the point where I was turned off of godly behavior in a character in a book!  Lots of prayers went up to God about that and we have continued the series. 


We are on Book Six right now, and I have to say that as a mother, these books are having a big impact on me!  The books follow Elsie's entire life, and right now we are into Elsie's motherhood.  What a role model for motherhood she is.  Gracious to her children....a true teacher and advocate of her children.  Her highest goal is that her children's hearts belong to God in true love and obedience.  Because she disciplines and teaches with kindness, her children are willing to do whatever she asks.  If they ever do disobey it hurts them as much as it hurts Elsie and they are always eager to make things right with her and God.  It brings to mind Romands 2:4, "...God's kindness leads you to repentance."


I am so glad to be reading these books with my daughter.  When I was growing up I filled my head with Harlequin Romances and the latest teeny-bopper paperback fiction.  No wonder I was too cynical for these books to begin with.  "Garbage in, garbage out" is a cliche, but that's because it's so true.  I filled my young mind and even my young adult mind with garbage and am so excited to break that mold for my daughter by introducing her to characters that esteem God and view motherhood as a high calling. 


These are books to invest in and keep so that our daughters can take them with them to read to their daughters.  You may come across Elsie Dinsmore books at your local Christian bookstore.  These have a yellow and purple cover.  Don't buy them.  They are an abridged, modernized version of the original.  Get the original versions of the books from Vision Forum or from Mantle Ministries.


 

6 comments:

  1. diamondsintheroughMarch 11, 2008 at 5:49 AM

    Hi Becca,

    My girls like Elsie Dinsmore, too. I admired her piety, but to me those books are way too melodramatic. My oldest daughter was very emotional when she was younger, and I would not let her read Elsie until she was about 10. We had enough crying <i>without</i> Elise encouraging her to cry over everything, good and bad! ...And, I don't know... it bothers me that those rich people have nothing to do with their lives but go on holidays... but I supposed it was like that for those who were born into wealth? Having said all those negative things, I do love the fact that the author used the beautiful King James Bible, and that Elsie loved the Word of God. I loved her meek spirit and her godly responses to those who troubled her (I am so NOT like her!) Yep, there was a lot of convicting stuff in there. I was like you -- read lots of garbage as a kid and into my adulthood.


    As for sewing, I DO know how. We are limited to one little fabric store that sells mostly cottons for quilting, and a few notions, no patterns ( the patterns leave a lot to be desired, too, now). I need to plan better for our rare trips into the big city. My girls are slowly learning to sew for themselves. I need to take a front-end loader to my sewing table and find my machine... I know it's there somewhere!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats great! I like you filled my mind with reading garbage as a teen, YM magazine and so much other stuff I shouldn't be reading! I'm glad I'm taking a different road with my family. Great review, my daughter is only 4 but I will keep them in mind for the future.


    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. xanga.com/homekeepingheartMarch 11, 2008 at 3:28 PM

    I read a couple of those back when I was growing up and loved them. I so hope I have a daughter one day so that I can read them to her, too. Sounds like I should check out the motherhood one now!

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey diamondsintherough, I know what you mean about the lifestyle of Elsie and her family, but I do think that was how it was for the rich of that day. That's one of the things I'm enjoying about these books - Martha Finley was alive during that time and wrote based on her intimate knowledge of the customs of that time.

    I will say this for Elsie....in book 5, during the reconstruction after the Civil War, Elsie, her husband and father weren't just sitting around on their hands. They freely gave of their wealth to their neighbors and family. Elsie gave away all the money she earned every month except for what she needed to run her household. She provides a great example of what stewardship means. :-)


    Love,

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your sweet comment! I am so glad you came by!

    How is that baby doing? Getting big, huh? How are you, Mama? :)


    Have a great day!!

    Love, Prayers, and Blessings,

    Miss Amanda

    http://superangelsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. diamondsintheroughMarch 20, 2008 at 7:03 PM

    Becca, thanks for that review of book 5 -- I haven't read it yet! Have you read the other Life of Faith books? Mildred Keith? The Kathleen Series? ...there are others...

    ReplyDelete