Sunday, August 5, 2007

Timeline Notebook

I took down our KONOS wall timeline because Third Son, the ultimate toddler, kept taking down our timeline figures and chewing on them.  I don't have time to camp out by the timeline in case he decides to take an interest in it, so I decided to call it done and take it down.  Since then, I've been mulling over starting Timeline Notebooks with the oldest three.  Today was the first chance I have had to sit down and investigate my options.  My first thought was to order the Sonlight Book of Time.  First Son and I used that back before our KONOS days (we are no longer active KONOS users.  I use it to supplement what we do now.).  But they are 20 bucks, and 20 bucks X 3 is too much for our school budget, so I kept looking. 


I decided to Google "Timeline Notebook" and came up with a ton of results!  The first link I came to was a great help.  Homeschool in the Woods has a great page on their site that has suggestions for many different kinds of timeline notebook set-ups.  I really like the Chronological Card File in a 2-ring binder idea.  Further on down the page, I found the format for me.  The Horizontal Format.  Homeschool in the Woods sells a beautifully done timeline notebook called the Record of Time Timeline Notebook that is in the horizontal format, but it's 37 bucks.  Thwarted again.  ;-)  So my computer-guy Husband volunteered to format some timeline pages for me.  He's good that way.  :-)  But I thought, SURELY someone out there has done this already and I kept looking.


My search was rewarded and I found some great links to timeline pages that are ready for the printer.  Here are the keepers that I found:


This link is to Timeline Dividers.  I am going to use these and possibly color code each time period.
This is a nice Horizontal Timeline, though not my favorite.
This Timeline is my favorite because it can be personalized - you can put the timeline dates as you wish since they are not pre-printed on the pages.
Another Horizontal Timeline.
Vertical Timeline.
LOVE this page.  Not a timeline page, but a good page for Oral or Written Narrations.  I plan to include this in our notebooks.

2 comments:

  1. Those are great resources! You might want to check out some of these: http://www.lessons.hwtk.net/timelines.html

    I like the free Book of Centuries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I keep looking at our KONOS timeline and seeing how much room it takes up irritates me! We don't use it anymore but for review. I've wanted to do a book for each of the boys but haven't had any time to research it. I'm sooooooo stealing your research! LOL Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete