Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Yarn! Glorious Yarn!

The hardest thing about my Husband's Grandmother's death was all the stuff that was left behind.  It seemed so wrong to be divvying it all up and seeing it go to the four corners in a heartbeat.  The whole thing seems so odd to me.  Death comes so quickly.  Grandma was walking into the Senior Citizen Center for lunch with a friend.  Her friend dropped her off at the door and while she was walking in, she had a heart attack and died before she hit the ground.  BAM!  Just like that.  The doctor said she probably never even knew she was gone - well, until she got to the Pearly Gates!  :-)  I tell ya, I don't know how people can live without the Hope that Christ has given.  He is so good, and our family is able to rejoice, thinking of her meeting Jesus face to face and visiting with other family members who are there.  My Husband's grandparents have become like my own grandparents since mine were all dead before I was born.  I wonder if she ran into my grandparents and said, "hey....I knew this girl.....she married my grandson....."  Silly.  ;-)


Anywho.....the picture above is Grandma's yarn.  She knitted 10-12 afgans each year and gave them away to fundraisers, or to my Husband's aunt, who is a realtor.  She gave an afghan to each of her customers that bought a house through her.  She knitted them for her family.  We have two or three of them.  As you can see from the amount of yarn, she had big plans for a lot of afghans!  :-)  And so now the yarn is mine, and the only thing I knit is dishrags!  Our family and extended family will never be without a homemade dishrag from now on. 

3 comments:

  1. My grandmother is very sick right now and has been in and out of the hospital for about 2 wks now. They have determined now she is bleeding from her colon. They are going to do more test in the morning. I am not ready to let her go. She is a wonderful woman who looks forward to be reunited with her dear husband of 60+ yrs and a son her died tragically 14 yrs ago, but still I'm not ready to let her go. I think it is wonderful you got the yarn. I'm sure your husband's grandmother would be happy for you to make dishrags out of them. I'm sure you will think of her each time you make them.


    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss, but very blessed for your yarn legacy~truly treasure! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Sandi. Yes, I feel very blessed to have all the yarn! To me, it is good to have something that I can make something from - even if it's a goofy dishrag - and share them with the rest of the family. We'll each get a share in the yarn. :-)


    Love,

    Becca

    ReplyDelete