Saturday, October 18, 2008

Blogger Friend School - #106


Assignment:  Post your favorite fall recipe/recipes to share.  I love trying new recipes, do you? 


I absolutely love finding a good recipe.  One of my favorite resources for this is Tammy's Recipes.  Her family eats just like mine.  I think we've only made one recipe that my family was lukewarm about. 


Last October, a friend gave me some Pumpkin Butter she found at a little shop somewhere.  I grew up eating Apple Butter, but had never heard of Pumpkin Butter.  It was SO GOOD.  So this year I am going to make some for gifts, and for us to eat here at home. 



I don't have any pictures yet because I just started today.  I found a great pumpkin at SuperTarget for $4.99!  It was a good, dark pumpkin.  The dark ones are the best for canning and other recipes.  In the past, I have cooked the pumpkin in the pressure cooker, but today, I had my husband just cut the pumpkin into fourths.  Then I wrapped it in foil and baked the pumpkin.  Tonight I will puree the pumpkin in my food processor, then tomorrow I will make the pumpkin butter.  Here is the recipe I will be using:


Pumpkin Butter


3 1/2 cups fresh ground pumpkin or canned pumpkin purée
2 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1 lemon, juice and grated rind
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice

If using fresh pumpkin, mix with sugar, lemon, ginger, cinnamon and allspice in a large bowl. Let stand at room temperature 8 to 10 hours

Transfer to a heavy saucepan, add 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil. Simmer on low heat, stirring often, for 40 to 60 minutes, to desired consistency. (With canned pumpkin, mix ingredients in heavy saucepan; bring to a boil and simmer on low about 20 minutes, to thicken.)

Pour mixture into hot, sterile, 6-ounce canning jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Seal with sterile, 2-part lids and rings, as manufacturer directs, processing 10 minutes in boiling water bath. Cool; adjust seals.

Makes five 6-ounce jars.


To find some other good recipes, go here!

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of pumkin butter. We just bought 3 jars of apple butter on Monday. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooohhhhh! I have to try this, I love apple butter and this sounds great.


    Mrs.Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great recipe! We just got a bunch of pumpkins from my MIL. I'm thinking this would be a great alternitive to our usual apple butter so I'm going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete