Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Getting Organized

I love being organized.  Helps me feel semi-in control and on top of things. 


The last time I remember feeling semi-in control and on top of things was probably when we had only two kids.  Seems the third started a whirlwind that hasn't stopped yet. 


Since we welcomed our fifth into the world, it seems that most days I'm running from one fire to another around here.  I'll say to myself.  "As soon as I finish feeding Sophia, I'm going to read Henry that book."  Then Lydia will need help with her Math.  Then I realize it's time to fix lunch, then I say, "As soon as lunch is over, I will read Henry that book."  Then we eat lunch, then Henry has a stinky diaper, then Ben and Jack have taken the horseplay too far and someone has hurt feelings, then Lydia can't fit all the dishes in the dishwasher, so I go help her work it out, then Sophia gets into the cabinet with the plates and pulls them over and scares herself, so I go love on her till she feels better......and on and on and on.  This running here and there leaves me little time to THINK.  Doesn't that sound silly? 


But it's true.  My creative juices are as slow as molasses these days, so I'm turning to Emilie Barnes for inspiration.  I came across a copy of her Creative Home Organizer.  Emilie is a woman after my own heart.  She has a chapter for each section of our lives that is likely to need organizing.  She's got General Organization, Food Preparation, The Kitchen, Storage, Cleaning, The Garage, The Laundry, The Automobile, Finaces, Time Savings, Raising Children, Good Health, Sewing and Crafts, Plants and the Garden, Beauty, Moving, Our Wardrobe, Safety.  In each chapter, Emilie has used bullet points to list her tips.  LOVE bullet points.  It's very satisfying to me to be able to read her short, 2 -3 sentence point and decide if I need to tackle that particular tip. 


I've started off with the General Organization chapter.  I made a list of the items that I feel I need to accomplish around here.  Of course that list is currently in limbo somewhere, so now I've decided to make another list and post it here where I can't lose it.  ;-)  When I finish this list, I will move to the next chapter and so on until I've finished the book and then probably will need to start at the beginning again.  No, no, no.....surely not!  ;-)


Here's my list of things to do:
1) Provide yourself with a notebook - either loose-leaf or spiral-bound, and small enough to carry around with you.  This notebook will become your "master list" - a single continuous list that replaces all the small slips of paper you're probably used to.  Use the notebook to keep track of all errands, things to do or buy, and general notes to yourself about anything that will require action.
     I started this, but like I wrote, I can't seem to find that blasted little thing.  So I guess an addendum to this task would be to find a place to keep it so that little hands have no access to it.  This notebook is replacing that "mental list of things to do" that I keep telling everyone about.  ;-)


2) Keep a daily "to do" list.  Make up a new one each morning and include tasks you specifically hope to accomplish - deadlines and appointments, as well as items from your master list.  Give each task a priority number - 1, 2, 3.  Do all the 1's first.
     I've been working off that "mental list."  Thing about that is that sometimes that list gets 'misplaced' as I'm running around putting out fires.  Then when I remember it's usually too late to do what needed to be done.  I hope having something written down keeps me more focused.  Of course, since I lost my little notebook with this written in it, I totally forgot about doing this until now. 


3) Buy a plastic bin for the coat closet and in it, put gloves, scarves, winter hats and other small but important items.
     I've kept these things in my bottom dresser drawer but have always hated that.  I've bought the bin, and just need to make the transfer.  This will be a good thing because I will have to get rid of some VHS tapes to make room for the bin.  Woohoo!  So long, Lion King.  LoL


4) Set up an emergency shelf out of reach of small children.  Equip it with flashlights, candles, matches, a first-aid kit, and an index card with emergency phone numbers.
     I have all this stuff, but it's scattered throughout the house.  Time to bring it together!  Something I want to add to the list is an address book.  The only address book I have now is on my computer.


5) Emilie writes, "I have kept a mini-notebook for several years which I call 'The Lord Provides.'  In it I've listed everything that has been given to us as gifts and from whom.  Also listed are things we have found and items donated to us.  It's beautiful to see how the Lord leads others to meet our needs and desires."


6) Make sure you have copies of all birth, and marriage certificates.
     I need to get the kid's birth certificates!

4 comments:

  1. That's what I love about my new blackberry so much, it keeps track of all of that stuff. All in one convenient thing I also call a cell phone. I could NEVER have a mental list, NOTHING would ever get done. I don't know how you did it for all these years! That's good your doing this though, you rock girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Hubby bought me that book when we were first married and I loved it. I lived by it almost religiously! But like you, as the kids started to arrive, I became less and less organized...and I'm still recovering!

    I like the idea of keep a record how God has provided. It's important to remember His blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan (A Happy Heart at Home)October 20, 2008 at 1:09 PM

    Great ideas! I hope they work out for you. I need to get organized and declutter the house so much!


    ~Susan

    http://ahappyheartathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I realize that you've already bought/implemented the bin for your coat closet, but if that doesn't work out for you - here's another way to organize all the gloves, scarves, etc.: buy an over-the-door shoe organizer with clear pockets.

    *Each parent/child gets a row of pockets for all of their things.

    *There's no digging through a bin to find what you're looking for.

    *It doesn't take up any floor space.

    Of course, you have to have a regular door (that swings open) for this to work well.


    I just found your blog this evening and am gleaning some great things from it. I am a homeschooling mom of 4 little boys (1, 3, 5, and &7), and, unfortunately, have to peruse other like-minded women's blogs from around the country because only one family that I go to church with attempts to raise their family the way we have chosen to raise ours. I find great encouragement from blogs like yours. Thanks!

    ~Kelly

    ReplyDelete