Monday, September 15, 2008

The Simple Woman's Daybook, Day 3

For Today...

Outside my Window...is not what I was expecting for today!  Ike  made a detour when he landed at Houston and we did not get the Tropical Storm we were told we would get.  Saturday ended up being just an ordinary day with some sprinkly rain and a little bit of wind.  Makes me extra grateful after I’ve seen pictures of Galveston and Houston.

I am thinking...that I can’t wait till we do History today!  We are in the middle of Egypt.  I bought the Egypt History Pocket and can’t wait to start going through it and assembling everything with the kids.  We are also reading Pyramid by David Macaulay.  We are all huge history fans around here.

From the learning rooms...Oh.  Well, I guess I already took care of this one.;-) 

Well, I can always add more!  Henry and I are about to finish up our first BFIAR book…..Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?   He is only 2 ½ but his little brain is constantly going, going, going and he needed something to do while Ben, Lydia and Jack are doing their work.  It’s funny…..we’ll be reading the book and he’ll say, “Now let’s do our schoolwork.”  He’s referring to the lapbook we’re making.  Is it odd for a 2 year old to prefer to do the paperwork over reading the book?  Hmmmm…the future holds interesting secrets!

I am thankful for...homeschooling.  I really do enjoy teaching and learning alongside my kids.  

From the kitchen...Chocolate Chip Layer Cake for teatime!  This will be a treat because we usually are a low maintenance tea time crowd.  We only have tea on Mondays.  It's not a daily thing.  Lydia usually makes SunTea and we get some Pepperidge Farm cookies to munch on.  Real fancy.  ;-)  I decided to surprise the kids and make a homemade cake for tea.  They’ll be surprised to see it when they come down this morning!

I am reading...Still reading St. Bartholomew’s Eve  with Darin.  Still trying to get through More Than Dates & Dead People.  I don’t think I read one page of it in the last week!  I'm also reading Elsie's Children with Lydia, Ishmael with Ben and The Trojan War with Jack.

I am hoping...to be able to make it to TN for a visit with my parents this fall.  We had a surprise hot water pipe leak which took the money we were going to use for the trip, so now we’re praying for something…

I am creating...a new weekly school schedule for Ben.  We are still finishing up a bit from last year and this boy is trying to fly through everything as quickly as he can so he can start this year’s fun.  

I am hearing...Henry is playing with his train track. 

Around the house...trying to work out the logistics of where to set up a study space for Ben.  Our downstairs has an “open” floor plan which means we have very little wall space, so adding another table/desk thingy is definitely something to think about.

One of my favorite things...is making school plans.  I love all the printing out, scheduling, reading, and gathering of supplies.  What a geek!

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week...I thought Sophia’s 9-month well-check was last week, but it’s actually this week.  Squeezing in a game night with the kids and I HAVE to finish cutting out the skirt I started with my friend, Rachel, a couple of weeks ago.   

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...


Playing Airsoft with the big boys.


To read other Simple Women's Daybook entries go HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment