Monday, September 22, 2008

The Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today...

Outside my Window...for the last little bit the weather has lulled us into a false sense of fall around here.  The highs were in the low 80’s……heaven!  But now we’re back up to nearly 90, and it makes a difference!  We WANT Fall!  We MUST HAVE Fall!  ;-)

I am thinking...that today is a wacky day already.  Ben and Jack were going to go to work with Darin this morning.  There is an annual Flag Football game between departments every year and Darin likes to take the boys along.  This is Jack's first year to go.  Ben has been every year, and last year, got to play!  But our hot water pipe started leaking again on Friday night.  We called the plumber Saturday morning and he told us he might not be able to get to us until the end of the week.  We think the leak is not just a leak, but a weld that didn't quite take because the water is POURING out of the repaired spot.  The plumber-guy must have chewed on that quite a bit over the weekend because they showed up first thing this morning (thank you, God!).  But now the boys are all out of whack.  Since they're here, we're trying to get them to do their chores, but their minds are only on that football game and hanging out with Dad at work.  The house is a mess from the weekend, Sophia went down for her nap late because of the jackhammer in the garage, Henry is still running around in his jammies, Lydia is playing in her room rather than cleaning it....sigh.  We'll make it through.  ;-)

From the learning rooms...I'm going to try to follow our normal routine for school and such since the boys will still be here.  (Darin likes to be here when work is being done on the house.)  Hopefully I will be able to impose my will on these kids this morning.  LoL  It's definitely going to be a struggle!

I am thankful for...God, who constantly provides.  I don’t think I can ever be thankful enough.

From the kitchen...plastic ware and paper plates!  We're trying to create as few dirty dishes to wash as possible since we have turned off the hot water because of the leak. 


When my mom loads her dishwasher she always thanks God for it.  She was born in the 30's and didn't have a dishwasher until the late 70's.  There were six kids in our family, and she made everything from scratch.  This a woman who knows what it means to have to wash the dishes.  I feel like a big wimp with the plasticware compared to her, but well, it is what it is, I guess.  ;-)


I am reading...St. Bartholomew’s Eve by Henty with Darin, Ishmael with Ben, Elsie’s Children with Lydia and The Trojan War with Jack.  

I am hoping...that Darin doesn't have a heart attack before the day is out.  ;-)  He just came in from the garage and reported that it looks as if the leak is a new leak so we will have to pay for this repair.  Another 1000 bucks gone.  

I am creating...a way to control some of the clutter.  Darin and I bought some new bookshelves at the unfinished furniture store this weekend.  I can’t wait to get them stained and ready to go because I’ve got some piles that are ready to be transferred to the shelves.

I am hearing...Ben is practicing his piano and Henry is measuring Darin's arm with the tape measure.  He says it is "2 foots."

Around the house...always laundry, always a dirty bathroom (or two or three!) to clean.

One of my favorite things...is finishing something.  I never realized the deep-seated need I have to go from start to finish with a task until I had five children.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week...I’m on a quest to find some lapbooking stuff for my toddler boy, Henry.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...



To view other Daybook entries go HERE.

3 comments:

  1. Cute picture!

    I know how you feel about finishing something. It seems that whenever I start a project, it gets interrupted and then sits unfinished, as I look at it while doing other things!

    I hope you water leak gets fixed! We grew up without a dishwasher too, thanks for the reminder to be thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the plumbing. :-(


    Re: the lapbooks. I've been using one I found at CurrClick called Trains Mini Lapbook. I also downloaded their free one today called B is for Beatitudes. We'll start that after we are done with trains. HTH.


    JM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey JavaMama, I'm going to check out the trains and beatitudes lapbooks. thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete