Monday, September 1, 2008

The Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today...
Outside my Window...
it’s a nice day outside!  Darin and the boys are going to get to work on the fence today.  Darin thinks it will go pretty fast.  There are no gates on this side of the house, so there’s nothing special to worry about.  In two days we will be having some rain, thanks to Hurricane Gustav!


I am thinking...and wondering if we can actually do all that we have planned for today.  I’m excited about the day just because Darin is home.  I love having him here with us.  He brings a great sense of humor to everything he approaches and that always helps to soften my edges.   

From the learning rooms...no schooling today!  Lydia got her Teaching Textbooks last week and has been doing math at odd times since then.  She’s so excited about having it and I’m letting her go!  Who am I to stop her from doing math?  ;-)


This week I will work on making lesson plans for Ben’s Greek studies.  Also received those books in the mail last week, but know that we will all flounder with it if I don’t make a plan.

I am thankful for...my new grand-niece!  I am now a Great Aunt four times over.  Two boys and two girls.  Aren’t I too young to be a Great Aunt????  ;-)


From the kitchen...I’ve got some yummy stuff planned for this week, and am most excited about the Butternut Squash Soup that I’m gonna make.

I am reading...added More Than Dates & Dead People to my stack this past week. I’ve only read the first 2 or 3 chapters, but it seems more like a book trying to convince me that history is fascinating, which I already knew.  ;-)  I’ll keep reading. I’m sure there’ll be more.

I am hoping...and praying for a chore breakthrough around here.  We have been trying to get the kids to the point where we don’t have to lead them by the nose to every chore.  Ben has it down, but the other two that do chores get distracted easily.  I know this is not something that can be done overnight.  It takes a lot of training!   

I am creating...the beginnings of my new skirt today!  My pal, Rachel, is coming over this afternoon to help me get started.  So excited!!!!!

I am hearing...the boys follow Darin around the house, sharing in his work.  All three of them.  I love, love, love that!  
We have some friends and the husband has quit his corporate job to go a new direction.  He wants to do something where he can be more available for his boys as they grow up.  Who knows where this will lead him, but he is searching God for direction.  I pray that God would be glorified through his brave decision.  
I read on the No Greater Joy website a few years ago about this family who basically lived in a bus.  They were not Christians, but the parents spent all their time with their children and had won the hearts of the children because of the investment of TIME they made in their lives.  When they did become Christians, the children followed their lead without hesitation.  Makes me wonder where the closest bus in the woods is….


Around the house... it’s busy today.  Jack just sat down to practice his piano, Darin and Henry are looking for their shoes so they can head out to Home Depot to buy fence stuff.  I think Ben is going, too.  The girls are quiet.  Lydia is cleaning her room, using this list from Growing in Grace magazine as her guide.  Sophia is asleep.


One of my favorite things... is all of us working and cooperating together.  I love it when our family is working as a unit and having fun doing it.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week... getting back into the swing of school. We also had last Friday off because Darin took that day off.  We went to the Dallas World Aquarium.  A birthday present for the kids from my mother-in-law.  It was great.  The kids loved it!

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...


To visit other Simple Women and their Daybook entries, go HERE.

7 comments:

  1. I love your picture thought! How sweet!

    I have enjoyed visiting your blog and reading your daybook!

    Nice to 'meet' you, Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute picture :)


    I enjoyed reading your daybook :)



    http://familycorner.blogspot.com/2008/09/simple-womans-daybook-sept-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable picture! Thanks for sharing!


    Blessings,

    Brandi


    http://mountainmorning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That IS bizarre! :0) Great minds think alike...


    Thanks for stopping by!

    Brandi

    http://mountainmorning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. More than dates and dead people would make history SO much more interesting to learn. Congrats on the new grandneice LOVE that pic. I almost forgot what I was going to say when I hit comment....too cute.


    And if you find a way to get them to do chores with less guidance....FILL ME IN!@!!!



    Have a great week

    shelly

    kadezmom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. JacqueDixonSoulRestESSeptember 2, 2008 at 7:27 PM

    I really enjoyed reading you Daybook - aren't they fun!

    Matt only gets to be home on Sunday, so I am glad when he gets an extra day off. He rarely gets his scheduled day off!


    Love that Lydia is using the GGM list Jocelyn made! hahaa How cute!


    I so love that photo. Don't you love baby handprints - footprints, etc?


    Take care dear! Love, Jacque

    ReplyDelete